16| BLOOD

Blood

Blood.

The terrifying truth laid as I watched the blood run down my legs.

"Arishia."

I look up to see Oceane watching me.

"What does this mean Arishia?"

I shake my head and continue to watch the small drops.

"My time has come sooner than I thought it would."

Oceane steps forward, words hanging upon her lips, but they are interrupted by a loud banging upon the door.

Hisses are heard outside.

The girls- the foolish mass of girls - laugh.

Nine now have been exposed to the King.

One of them steps forward, her body still showing the marks and faded bruises.

She opens the door, a smile upon her face and before I can stop her, is walking out, her arms open as if she is embracing the dark creatures.

They hiss on the other side.

I see eyes of red and extended fangs.

Oceane quickly cups her hand around a discarded dress and cleans my blood, running into the washroom with it.

My attention though is captured by the girl.

Before any of us can react, hands grab her. She continues laughing. Even when they sink their fangs, and rip her skin.

Even when they scream their delight at her taste.

Her body is thrown within the back, discarded for the others.

Then their red eyes continue hissing, waiting for another foolish prey to embrace her death.

Girls stand with their mouths open.

Arms hanging loosely.

Now there were eight.

Eight girls who were affected by the King.

And only seventeen left within the Reaping.

Then starts the screaming.

Saint runs forward.

"No Saint!"

I won't reach her in time. But to my surprise she doesn't reach out for the creatures. For the men and their eagerly watching eyes.

Instead she slams the door upon their face.

Her wide blue eyes hold tears as she stares at the wood.

The violent shake of the frame has a small scream leaving her mouth, making her stumble back a few steps.

I catch her before she falls. To my shock she grips me, her eyes frantic.

"Why are they here Arishia?"

I can almost taste the terror within the room.

The screaming of the girls has me shouting also at Saint, so my voice can be heard above the terror.

"They are here for me."

I help her up, turning to the girls, "Go to the bathing room, you'll find some safety there."

Before I can finish speaking though, ReRe is running forward, laughing with her arms open.

"By the Moon," I whisper.

I grab her arm, jerking her towards me.

"ReRe stop, didn't you just see what happened?"

She is not listening. Instead she looks at me, showing her dilated pupils and crazed smile.

Mother Asundra and all things by the Moon, I silently swear in my mind.

"Get the girls who are infected into the bathing room!"

No one moves, instead they stand there shocked while the infected girls look at ReRe with a smile on their faces.

I drag ReRe with me, for once raising my voice in anger at the girls as I scream "Now!"

Their stupor breaks.

I throw ReRe into the bathing room, her laughter still ringing within me as I catch the wrist of Trileece.

I turn just in time to see Saint tackle another girl to the ground.

Soon they are all pushed into the bathing room.

"Everyone get in," I'm panting from the exhaustion, but I know the true test is about to come.

"What about you?" Oceane's worried eyes meet me as she hesitates by the door.

"I'll be fine. The Moon is watching over me."

Lies.

The moon is not in this place.

But it's comfort enough to Oceane as she closes and seals the door.

The main door is still shuddering from the impacts it's enduring.

I stand in front of it, listening to the hissing and screams of the dark ones.

Before it stops.

Silence.

Then I hear him.

"Little star."