21| SCREAM

Scream

Scream.

I'm woken up by a scream that rings in the night. Vibrating within my room and mind.

I lay there stiff, with eyes wide as the scream comes again.

But it's not a scream of pain.

It's only then that I realize how close he actually is to me. Our rooms, in some way, must be connected. I glance at the dark wooden door that separates me from those screams. He is on the other side.

Softly I rise from the bed. I close my eyes and click the lock shut. It would do nothing to protect me against him. But the click of it, sent small comfort back into my body.

I press my ear to the door though, trying to place the sound within my mind.

Which girl.

Which girl was it.

Not Oceane. Please not her.

She would eventually be caught- the day was inevitable. But I couldn't handle just yet the grappling reality that I was living in.

A faint knock on the other door takes my attention away.

I look at it. It's the one that leads into the hallway.

Hesitantly I step closer to it. I stiffen when I hear his voice, "Arishia."

A deep sigh of relief leaves me. "Jonaus."

I place my shaking hand against the door, trying to support myself from the chaos of my mind as it takes in the next scream.

"Are you okay."
Jonaus's whisper reaches my ears.

"I'm breathing."
It's the summary of the truth I can give him.

I hear his own sigh of relief. And then the door shakes. I look at the shadows that dance along the bottom and realize that Jonaus has sat down, and was now leaning against the door.

I mimic him and together we sit in our own space, taking in the next scream and loud moaning that issues from the other door.

"Who is it."

I whisper my question out.

Jonaus sighs, "Not her."

Not her. His two words have me leaning my head back in relief. "Thank you."

I wish I could see Jonaus's face, and watch his reaction, but the door is my only safety. My dried blood still stained my legs and the bed.

"Don't thank me...I did nothing."

"You did your best."

I wait in silence for his response. The sounds from the other room have me flinching.

"Tell me something Jonaus," I say, desperate to get my attention away from the other door.

"Tell you what?"