Chapter Nine

Perhaps it was the way that he smiled, all teeth and dimples and sparkly eyes, or perhaps it was the way that the boy was such a closed book that it would seem like a privilege to get to know him, or, perhaps it even was the sheer look of anger and detest on Alex's face as he stormed over to them, but either way, Archer was coming to like Carter.

After a few minutes of the three of them sitting at the lunch table, pretending that the situation was not awkward at all, Archer felt like he should go to Carter. He felt bad, it was in fact his fault that Alex had gotten so angry, and as good as that was, he didn't like the idea of throwing Carter under the bus.

Sure, Archer was a son of a bitch, and couldn't care less what people thought of him, but he was not a monster. He wanted Alex to know that there was no running from this situation, but the plan wasn't to really hurt anyone in the process.

"I think I will go find him," Archer said to Cole and Roxy, standing up.

"No, I'll go." Roxy drew herself away from Cole, standing up and giving them both a sad smile.

Archer moved and sat down where Roxy had been before, turning to face his friend.

Archer began speaking in Italian, aware that the conversation that was likely to take place should not be heard by unsuspecting ears. "That was quick." He almost laughed. "He is either extremely jealous of me and his ex, or he really thought I was going to attack the poor kid in the middle of the cafeteria."

"You aren't going to hurt him though, are you?" Cole asked, replying in Italian also, his voice sounding much more relaxed and natural in his native language.

"Of course not. Alpha said we were to make a little of a scene as possible, and killing a high school kid is a sure fire way to set off alarm bells. Anyhow, I'm not a monster, I don't kill kids for fun." Archer may not follow many orders, but those from the Alpha were ones he lived by. Sure he broke a rule of the Alphas here and there, but he understood the importance of having a strong pack, and Alex was going to increase that strength. The Alpha had given Cole and Archer two weeks to bring him back, and he wasn't going to stop until he followed through on that order.

"That's true, but it also means not changing anyone either, or getting in too deep with these people."

"I know."

"Really? Cause you were looking at that kid like you wanted to jump him right then and there."

Archer rolled his eyes. "I have some self-control, Cole."

 The other boy almost laughed at that. "I'll believe it when I see it. So," Cole changed the subject, "what exactly is your plan with Carter?"

"Who knows, have a little fun I guess. I want to get home as much as you do, and if pretending to be into his ex will encourage Alex to get me, and therefore himself, back to Italy and far away from Carter, then I guess we may not have to wait those two weeks."

"Pretend?" Cole smirked.

"Oh don't patronise me. I saw the way you were with that Roxy girl."

"I.." Cole started, but Archer cut him off.

"Don't you sit there and pretend that you aren't interested in her. You forget that I knew you way before you became a wolf, and I know how you get. You get interested in a pretty girl and then you become a clingy, possessive bastard, and it's not pretty to watch."

"I'm not like that," Cole defended.

"You are, and now that you are a wolf, your inherent qualities like that will only magnify. Watch yourself," Archer counselled, and even though it looked as if Cole wanted to hit him across the table, the boy only nodded.