Chapter Twenty-Five

Lara had tenaciously decided to sit three seats over from Alex in the small waiting room. The room was small and painted an almost obnoxious shade of light green that he supposed was supposed to brighten the mood of those waiting anxiously, yet all that it did was crowd Alex's vision with the all too bright colour. Two white framed windows were placed along the rooms longest side, letting in some light, and a boring view of the car park below.

He shifted his gaze from the walls to the rows of chairs. There were black chairs lining the perimeter of the room and then a few in the centre. He had decided to sit close to the wall on one of the sides, and Lara had followed him, sitting just those few chairs distances from him.

He could feel her eyes on him the entire time and he had assumed after a few moments that he was being given the silent treatment that was until she whispered out, "I don't like you."

To Alex, she sounded like a toddler who had just been ratted out by their sibling for doing something naughty. He didn't say anything to that, he just looked at the rows of chairs, not sure what he would even say if he did reply to her. He had done the wrong thing, he had handled it all wrong, but she didn't know the reasons why he did what he did, so it wasn't like he blamed her for not liking him.

She then scooted over those three seats until she was sitting directly next to him, her body turned in the chair to face him head on. He met her gaze, and she was looking at him suspiciously.

"My brother means the world to me, and if you hurt him again I will not hesitate to chop your balls off and feed them to you," she threatened in what was probably the most threatening tone that a young girl such as herself could muster.

Alex stifled a laugh yet his words were completely serious and sincere. "That won't be necessary, I won't hurt your brother again."

Lara's entire demeanour changed after he spoke and the once hard, protective expression on her face was completely removed and replaced with an almost vulnerable one, one that he hadn't seen very often on the hard shelled girl.

"Good, because he has been hurt enough, and he deserves to be happy, but if you're looking to mend fences, why don't you start with your brother?" There was no anger or accusation in her words, and that proved to Alex how much this little girl did care for her brother.

Alex sighed, he had really made a mess of things with his family and he didn't even know where to begin to try and fix things. His mother probably hated him for wanting to leave and his little brother probably thought that he didn't care about him at all.

"Honestly, I wouldn't know how," he told Lara.

Lara's tone softened. "I don't know what happened to make things so bad between you guys, but your brother loves you and all he needs is proof that you love him too."

Alex nodded, but before he could say anything, Carter's mother walked into the waiting room.

"Can I speak to you for a moment?" she asked Alex politely, and he nodded, somewhat hesitantly, before getting up out of the chair and following her into the hallway. He wasn't sure if being accosted by Lara or her mother would be worse. They both had equal right to harbour some not so nice feelings about him. 

The stopped in the hallway, a few rooms down from Carter's and moved off to the side so that they weren't in the way of anyone. The hallway was quite empty of people, nurses occasionally using it to move between rooms. They stood on the white tiles, and Alex tapped his foot against the hard tile in an inconsistent, nervous rhythm.

Alex could hear the sounds of low beeping that came from the many machines in the rooms that surrounded them. He wondered what she wanted to talk about, especially why she insisted that she spoke to him here, in the hallway, instead of with Carter or with Lara.