Chapter Twenty-Three

Alex's car weaved through cars at a speed that would have certainly caused him to lose his licence if there had been any cops in the area. They made their way quickly down the main roads, cursing every red light. The car was silent, Carter was in the passenger seat, tapping his fingers against the dashboard nervously with one hand and the other was holding his cell to his ear, ringing Roxy every two minutes, hoping and praying that she was fine, that they had been wrong and that there was no problem.

Carter could see that Alex was clenching the wheel so tight that his knuckles were a ghostly white and his face was full of determination with the slightest bit of desperation at the edges. Carter knew that Alex cared about Roxy, maybe even as much as he himself cared about her. The three of them were best friends for as long as he could remember, and when Alex pulled away from him, he pulled away from her too.

Archer was in the backseat, and had been mainly silent for the short journey, but suddenly Carter could hear him talking into his phone. "Cole, you better not do anything stupid, call me, now," he said, hanging up.

"What if he has already turned her?" Carter wondered out loud and he heard Alex growl in the back of his throat.

"Then we will deal with it, but there's still a chance that he hasn't."

Carter huffed exasperatedly. "What do you mean, deal with it? Take her to Italy with you guys, and what? I never see her again? She has to leave her family, her friends, her life?" Roxy was one of the few people that Carter had left, and if she and Alex left him, he had no idea what he would do. He would be completely alone in this world.

"Let's just wait and see okay?" Archer interjected. "We will know soon."

The three of them focussed on the road, knowing that in a few minutes they would get there. Carter resumed his anxious finger tapping against the dash and he called her again, getting the familiar sound of her voice telling him to leave a message.

"Left here," Carter told Alex as they were approaching the street, and Alex turned the car down the narrow street.

"Which building is it?" Alex asked, and Carter looked around the street. There were four apartment buildings along the street, and he looked for the name which Sam had given him, Flame tree Apartments. He assumed that it was the building which features large, red trees out along the perimeter, and as they got closer he could see a sign that told him it was definitely the right one.

"This one." Carter pointed towards it, and the car turned left into the parking area for the apartments, stopping abruptly at a strange angle which was definitely not between the lines.

The three of them leapt from the car and ran into the building, stopping when they found the elevators. "Which floor?" Archer asked and Carter pressed the button for the fifth floor.

"Fifth floor, apartment 505."

Carter would later say that the elevator ride was the longest that he had ever experienced in his life and that it was in severe need of an upgrade if it was going to be that slow, however, in reality, it had only taken them less than ten seconds to reach the fifth floor.

They basically ran once the elevator doors opened and stopped only when they reached the door, whose sign read Apartment 505 in large, block letters on the door. The hallway that they were in was quite narrow, the walls painted a strange colour that was between white and yellow, but not quite a cream colour. There would have been at least ten apartments on the level, and Carter was thankful that they were able to find it quite quickly. Archer reached out to knock, but Alex's hand flew out, catching Archer's fist before it hit the wall.

"What?" Archer huffed, shaking off Alex's grip on his hand.

"What if he panics and bites her?" Alex suggested and it made sense.