Chapter Thirteen

Carter had endured quite a few awkward times in his life, there was the time that his mother had found condoms in his room, and there was that one time when Roxy accidentally walked in on him in the shower. Those times were awkward. So was this.

Alex just seemed to stare at him, whereas Carter flickered his gaze to Jayden and then his sister, whispering, "You could have told me who your date was."

Lara shrugged guilty, bitting at her lip. She seemed to not want to answer that question as she sent a pleading look in Jayden's direction.

"Why don't you two go home, and we can call you to pick us up later?" Jayden asked, but before either of them could answer him, he had linked his arm with Lara's and they were already heading towards the waitress to be seated.

Carter just stared after them for a few moments, realising that he was pretty much stuck with Alex. He had promised his mother that he would chaperone, and even though he knew that Jayden wouldn't hurt a fly, he still didn't feel comfortable leaving his little sister. Alex seemed to be the same way, as he didn't make a move to leave either. They both locked eyes at the same time.

"So.." Carter almost laughed at the awkwardness of this situation.

"So, do you want to join me for dinner?" Alex asked and Carter could have rolled his eyes.

What was he doing in a restaurant with his ex? The same ex that he is actively trying to get over. Refusal was not an option unfortunately, so Carter nodded his head. "Uh, sure."

They walked an arm's length apart the whole time they walked to the waitress and then to the table. Carter made sure that their legs didn't brush against each other's when they sat down. The table laid out before them was exactly what Carter would expect on a date, the white table cloth was pristine, with delicate silverware on the sides and wine glasses in front. The centre of the table held a small blue candle, bringing some life to the simple décor around them.

"Here's some menu's," a pretty, blonde waitress smiled as she handed them both large black pieces of paper, containing the menu. She sent an admiring glance to Alex as she spoke, and by the blatant lust on her face, Carter realised that he would be almost invisible to her the entire night. He was used to that though, it happened all the time when they used to date. In those moments Alex would hold his hand across the table or swing a casual arm around his shoulders and the person would realise that Alex was taken and was no way going to buy what they were selling. "I'll be right back to take your orders." She smiled a flirty smile at Alex before turning on her heels, her bright blonde locks swinging behind her as she walked away.

Carter turned his attention back to Alex, whose gaze, he had discovered had been locked onto him the entire time. It felt like going back in time, and for a moment, only a moment, he could almost imagine that it was their one year anniversary. That they were happy, together, about to make a promise that would seal their love. They were so young then, so innocent in believing that they would be together for the rest of their days.

This wasn't their anniversary. They weren't together.  

He still loved the man who was looking at him, who sat across from him in the crowded restaurant, but there was no use living in the past, so he tore his gaze away from Alex and looked down at his menu, reading over the words and pretending that he couldn't feel Alex's gaze on him. Perhaps Alex was feeling the same way, remembering the same things. It was unlikely, yet it sparked that little bit of hope that Carter held deep within his chest.

"What are you going to have?" he asked Alex, and this seemed to tear Alex out of his mind as his eyes dropped down to the menu before going back up to Carters in only half a second.