ENTRY #4: LETTER IN A BOTTLE by LavenderDaisuki

To the lucky who gets to read this despite of the high probability that nobody gets to read it at all,

                You know the reason behind the lengthy introduction, dear. Explanation, when evidence is crystal clear, is for dunderheads! And I hope thou art not a part of what I abhor. (By the way, thou art means ‘You are,’ just in case you’re not a Shakespeare aficionado like me.)

                I wrote this letter for me to tell you that life is awesome. Which I find peculiar since I spent 95% of my life dwelling on misery. The 5% percent, although considerably short, is chock-full of happy memories.

                I also wrote this to tell you that life is also kind of ironic. Cancer tried to suck life out of me in order for it to live, only to find out that cancer will also die when I die. But that’s not the ultimate irony. I am gonna die of starvation and dehydration, not cancer. That pesky ship sunk, and voila, I survived with my first love thanks to our life jackets and lucky position that made our escape easy, only to find out that we’re gonna die eventually in this cage-like paradise. Ugh!

                I wanted to tell you that this is the best summer ever. My past summers we’re spent in hospitals, battling Grim Reaper and existential angst alike. Medicine and utter sadness filled my insides, and all I ever wanted was to expel them all at once because I feel horrible (although I know that the former was injected for the sake of my life). But this summer is different. No horrific hospital stay. Just plain happiness spent with my first love. Just trying to find food to eat- like ehem, termites. Just trying to build fire like what I saw from the movie Castaway. Just trying to build a tent that can’t be built (which made us forced to stay in a small cave). Just trying to be happy as much as possible because we know we might die here.

                He didn’t love me back. (If only I have a habit of using emoticons, I would like to draw a broken heart here.) In fact, he told me that he misses his girlfriend. (Dara is her name. She is my classmate and she’s undoubtedly pretty. Like the actress kind of beauty. Taylor Swift kind of beauty.) But I’m still happy because I was able to get to know him more. I didn’t know he’s a Directioner. Kind of weird for a metal music fan, eh?

                I am starving here. I am dying here. My stomach produces this gurgly sound which signifies that my intestines are yearning for just a piece of bread in order to fulfill its duties in supplying energy for all my body organs. Drinking seawater will just make everything, so I’m secretly wishing for a drizzle to come.

But the way, he’s actually dead because a coconut hit his head. But I will never ever forget those days with him. I just want to tell you. That was the best 5% of my life and there’s nothing I could ever ask for.

                Just in case you’re dwelling in your misery, just in case you’re crying because you can’t reach your dreams, it doesn’t mean you can’t be happy. My story seems insignificant. But I am proud of it. That one week stay on this island is the best! Remember that no matter how trivial your life seems, it doesn’t signify inability to live a happy life. Happiness is a choice. I chose Mr. Misery for oh so long that I want to scoff the Me during those days. But nah, it’s over. Is there something I can do apart from living life to the fullest and secretly wishing that a mad scientist will be finally able to invent the everybody’s dream possession time machine?

                I don’t know if I will be able to live for the next few days. I could die. But hey, I’m happy. I am very happy. I am very happy. I am very happy. I AM VERY HAPPY! Redundancy is intended for the sake of emphasis, and I couldn’t even find the right word to describe what I felt. The words ‘euphoric’ and ‘blissful’ look insufficient. If there’s a happy word higher than those, then add it to the Merriam-Webster dictionary!

Sincerely yours,

The random stranger you haven’t even met but sincerely cares for you because (1) she doesn’t want you to experience the misery she felt and (2) tell my doctors that I am thankful for saving my life. Coz if not, then I would never get to experience the best summer ever.

P.S. In case you’re wondering where I found a pen and paper, I have these with me in my bag, which luckily survived too. And it will probably survive even after I die as long as no albatross or scavenger or any sea creature that gets to tear it apart.

P.P.S. I found an empty bottle with a cork it in on the shoreline. I have no idea how it ended up there but I think it’s cool. Cooler than absolute zero temperature, though scientifically implausible.

P.P.P.S. I will haunt you when I become a ghost. Awooo! Ha-ha! Just kidding.