CHAPTER 17: An Almost Date

Dedicated to _steamed_bun19. Thanks for voting.😍

VANESSA

I proceeded towards the table and a miserable dinner and quietly took my seat on one side of the table. He took the other and exactly like I thought, there was an awkward silence. I continued looking around anxiously until my eyes finally rested on Adrian's royal blue cufflink on his shirt sleeve. I kept stupidly staring at it until the waiter finally brought us the menu. I had definitely lost my mind.

I wished that five years at Cambridge University had taught me how to sit through an awkward dinner date.

Wait! What?

VANESSA, IT IS NOT A DATE. STOP CALLING IT ONE!!!

I felt a tap on my hand and I came back to the reality. Adrian pointed towards the waiter. The poor guy had been waiting for me to tell him what I wanted to eat and I was just sitting here ranting. This was not how I decided to choose the menu but I would still go through with it for the sake of the party. I didn't have much of a choice, did I?

"Linguini salad and Italian meatballs, please.", I looked through the menu and said.

"It will be a Rigatoni for me."Adrian said.

The waiter nodded and left. Adrian was typing something on his mobile and after a minute or two of more silence, I lost patience and asked, "Are we going to just sit like this, till the dinner comes?"

"You have other plans?"

"Actually I do. Why don't we have a random conversation like civil human beings."

Adrian set his mobile down and after thinking for a while, replied "Ok. Ask me a question."

"Umm...how is Nate doing on the party planning?"

"Good enough. We are sending out invites tomorrow morning and calls to media houses have already been made."

"Great. Your turn."

Adrian smirked. Oh! This never goes well, does it? I knew what it was going to be about-Rebecca!

He asked," What is it between you and Rebecca?"

"I KNEW IT!", I said slapping my hand on the table. People began to look at us so lowered my voice while whispering an apology, "I knew you were going to ask that. How predictible can you be?"

He just sat back in his seat, still smirking, waiting for my reply.

"You want to here a short version or the long story?", I said giving up.

"We have got plenty of time, don't we?"Adrian said.

Ok! Here goes nothing...

"I was studying at the prestigious Horace Mann School. It was my junior year. I was a straight A's, no nonsense kind of student."