CHAPTER 60: Knight In Shining Armour...Or Not?

ADRIAN

Twelve hours and twenty-four fired employees later...I was still pissed at Vanessa.

Last night felt so special but then after this morning, it just felt like a lie.

I leaned back in my chair, raking my hand through my hair. I was in such a bad mood that I almost kissed away the Aurora deal. Well, it's contract closure was possibly the only thing today that came close to being called a good news.

I picked up the office phone and instructed Mrs. Ludwig to send Bryan upstairs. I could really use a drink or two to get away from all that happened today...plus I was sure he was waiting for an explanation for my meltdown.

A few minutes later Bryan walked into my cabin saying,"Hey! What did you need?"

"Let's go to some bar downtown.", I suggested.

"Umm...that would be great but I have this really urgent work thing right now."

"What work thing?"

"It's a project I have to submit tomorrow.",he said, uneasily.

"You can just say no. You don't have to lie to me if you don't want to hang out.", my anger flared.

"What? I am not lying.", he said defensively.

I sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose, "It's a Sunday tomorrow and it's first Jan, day after. What work could you possibly have, Bryan?"

Since when did our friendship become so hollow that it could accommodate lies? Since when did we start keeping things from each other? First he kept his relationship with Charlotte from me and now...oh wait!

"Hey! I know I am still not at terms with your dating my sister but you don't really have to lie.", I said.

"Wow! I mean thanks. Umm...but I...I am not going out with her tonight.", he said, shifting his weight from one feet to another.

I frowned, "Then why lie?"

"It is a long story and it involves the person who is the reason behind your firing twenty eight employees..."

"Vanessa! Wait how did you...you talked to her?"

"I did. I really wanted to know why you were wreaking havoc here.", Bryan rolled his eyes.

"What did she say? Did she tell you how she called Blake and...", I sighed.

"She did but trust me Adrian, this all looks bad right now but tomorrow it's all going to make sense when you see the bigger picture."

"What is that supposed to mean?", I frowned.

"Just wait for a day, okay! I really need to go now. I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Okay. Good night.", I said as Bryan left in a hurry, not responding to my last sentence.

Well, no drinks for me then. I guess a good home cooked dinner will have to suffice.

I picked up my blazer from the back of my chair and then left my cabin. I went down to Bryan's floor, remembering that I had to give him the invite for tomorrow's New Year's Eve party being thrown by the Crawfords. Being my best friend got Bryan the invitation to some of the most exclusive parties in the city.

I never usually brought my plus one so I brought Bryan along. I liked to find my plus one in the party itself though this year I wouldn't be looking. For the first time in my life, I wanted to hold onto someone but unfortunately for me, she didn't have the same desire.

I opened his door only to hear him uncharacteristically cursing, "No! No! No! Shit. I am a God damned idiot! I should never have left. I..."

I cleared my throat to draw his attention away from his rambling.