CHAPTER 34: Changing Dynamics

ADRIAN

I looked around but I could see no one. Then came a loud yell and I threw my vase in that direction with force and precision. There was no way I would miss and I didn't! Once more, I heard a loud yell but a more pained one followed by, "WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU! Adrian, Owww!!"

I shut my eyes and sighed.

Vanessa, again! 

I flipped on the switch and she was there, behind the kitchen island on which was some lavishly laid food covered with saran wrap. Did she bring that? Oh dear God!

I walked up to Vanessa who was rubbing her shoulder which was apparently hit by my vase. She looked up at me and furiously said, "You know what you should get me for Christmas? A BLOODY SHIELD! Because if this is how being around you is going to be like, I don't think that I will survive to see my promotion."

"Not my fault! You were the one who tried to jump scare me.", I argued.

"And not even in my wildest dreams did I imagine this response."

"True! It was a little over the top but..."

"A little? Seriously? And I was feeling bad that you got kicked out of your house. I even brought you your favourite food."

I looked at the food and then back at her, " Is that from Le Bernardin ?"

"Yes! Your favourite restaurant, according to Charlotte. I thought it would cheer you up.", she narrowed her eyes and frowned with her hand still clutching onto her shoulder.

"Thank you.", I frowned at her sudden kindness as she rolled her eyes and picked up the vase. She turned it around and weighed it in her hand said, "Had I not ducked on time, I might have died."

"Oh please! I...", I chuckled, finding humour in her over exaggeration but then stopped when she shot me a death glare.

"Just eat already.", she said as she slid me a plate. I pulled up two chairs and sat on one. Seeing the other chair, she said, "Oh! I am leaving."

"So, you just drove all this way to deliver food?"

"Umm...I don't eat sea food.", she fiddled uncomfortably with her hair.

"Is that the only reason why you don't want to stay?"

Her eyes widened in shock when she realised how transparent her thoughts were. She was obviously uneasy staying alone with me under the same roof, this late. I had a reputation afterall.

"Don't answer that. It is alright.", I stated.

She shook her head and saying, "Never mind!", sat down beside me. She turned towards me and as cheerfully as ever, asked, "So? What's up?"

"Don't you know?", I said, raising an eyebrow.

"I do. Charlotte told me everything. And I am so sorry."

"Sorry? For what? I have my own house...houses actually. And except for dad, my family doesn't have a problem with my...ummm...girlfriends. So, I am damn sure that I don't need your pity.", I clarified, absolutely disgusted by the sympathetic look in her eyes. Or was it apologetic?

She opened her mouth to say something but then held back and just nodded, her eyes fixed on the granite slab. 

"What?", I asked, more softly this time.

"Nothing. Just...ummm....how are you finding the food?"

"It is good.", I said, eating a prawn off my fork.