CHAPTER 29: Keep Me A Secret

VANESSA

I saw them, Bryan and Charlotte, sitting in a corner in the restaurant and I was damn sure that it wasn't just a friendly meeting. Their body language, especially Charlotte's hand in his screamed 'It's a DATE!!!'.

No, I wasn't being skeptical. Afterall, if it was just a friendly meeting, why would they lie about it, saying they are meeting a school friend or a cousin. I still couldn't believe this, Bryan and Charlotte?! Bryan and Adrian's older sister?!

Oh shit! Arian! He, I bet a million dollars, had no idea about any of this and if he saw them...well, it wouldn't be a hyperbole if I said that hell would break loose. I gulped a big lump of air stuck in my throat and debated what to do as soon as I got myself out of this shocked state.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and I quickly snapped my head in its direction, "ADRIAN!"

"Huh? Why? Were you expecting someone else?"

Good lord! I had to get him out of here, right now!

"No, absolutely not! I just had an idea."

"Go on?"

I walked out of the line, letting the people behind my go a few steps forward, deeply pleased.

He eyed me questioningly as I said, "I'll explain outside." and taking his hand, led him out to the street.

I couldn't risk him turning around, seeing his sister and his best friend together and then create a nice little piece of drama for everyone to see and if accidentally there was a media person in that restaurant, he would probably get a new tabloid blog, not titled 'Playboy Billionaire's New Fling' but probably something like 'Hidden Secrets of the Greys Mansion" or "Keeping up with the Greys" and so many more cringeworthy headlines.

"Didn't you want to eat here?"

"I changed my mind. I want a burger now!", I said desperately trying to come up with something believable.

"Seriously? What about my soup?", Adrian furrowed his eyebrows.

"We can get that made at home, remember?"

"It won't be as good as here, remember?", he quoted what I had said before.

Charlotte really owed this one to me. I made a mental note to talk to her when we returned home.

"Well! What I wanted was out of stock! Sorry!"

He shook his head in disapproval, probably convinced with my excuse.

"So , there is Burger King around the corner, I'll get myself something.", I said, "You could wait in the car if you want. You don't look so well and it's cold." I examined his face, he looked visibly ill.

"Alright then! Don't be gone too long. I have to work when I get back home.", He said and then I quickly found the Burger King, ordered a Chicken Royale burger and then munching on it, I returned back home.

It's funny how comfortable calling the Grey Mansion home was. I wish I could do the same for the Hudson estate. That was more of a house than a home. I kept denying that it wasn't my fault, but deep down I knew I was wrong.

I am adjusting, I have always been so but a home is defined by the people who make it and if they aren't welcoming, there isn't much that one can do, right?

As soon as we reached home, I went up to my room, changed into some comfortable pyjamas with Minnie mouse drawn all over it and then lay down on the bed watching  an old movie.

13th December

Charlotte came back very late, almost by 1 am. God knows what she was doing all this while. Actually, I do know and I just wish I didn't. I sighed and picked my tired self up to talk to Charlotte, this was important and needed to be done now!