14

Max turned as quick as possible when he smelt the smell of his mate and a similar one with it.

Infront of him stood a replica of Lana, with male features in certain places. However, the same midnight black hair and grey eyes were there and Max instantly knew they were related.

"What the hell is that?!"

Lana grunted the words out, gagging over the horrible smell of iron. Max held his Mother tightly, his eyes moving from the wall to his mate and back.

"We know who did it, but we don't know why."

Leo stepped forward and reached for a diary since nobody else had. His rough hands found an equally rough surface, with rips and tears in the leather.

Considering leather was hard to tear, Leo knew that the book was old. Undoubtedly old.

He slowly flicked open the book, his eyes finding cursive writing on both front pages in an ink pen ovbious by the blotches in the middle of sentences.

Experiment 13

According to Dr Stein, this one was volunteered by her relatives. She's extraordinarily pretty, with sharp, grey eyes and dark, straight hair.

But she's an experiment. We're hoping what happened to 12 does not happen to 13. After all, Dr Stein says he's fixed the mixture by adding hydrochloric acid and some stem cells.

He's hoping the cells will split and slowly carry the code to each other cell in Subject 13's body. If this happens, then we've done it.

We have created the first zombie.

Apparently the volunteers who gave us the child are prestige scientists and helped Dr Stein.

They go by the names of 'Marie and Nathan' Dixon.

The experiment is continuing and so shall my diaries as the time progresses.

And it ended. Nothing more on the first page but the words were enough. Enough for Leo to drop the old diary and turn to Lana. To grab her arm and to drag her away from her mate and his mother.

"Where are you taking me? Leo!"

He turned silently, closing his eyes in mental exhaustion. They were the children of murderers. They were the children of people who sacrificed their own neice.

"Whatever you do, do not tell your mate your surname or your parents' names. Ever."

Lana's eyebrows furrowed and her nose scrunched up in confusion. Again she was being left out.

"Tell me why. You do not get to say that to me and just expect me to not ask questions. Answer. Me."

Leo sighed at his older sibling, her slight power overpowering his authority. She could not know what he really was.

He pretended to be very affected by the power radiating off of her body and stuttered his response.

"I-I saw something i-in the d-diary."

She had calmed down, returning to her previous state. Confusion. "Like what? What made you do that?"

Leo listened closely to hear if anyone was spying. Maids and servants were infamous for their gossip.

"Our parents helped in the creation of these zombies and offered up our cousin for experimentation."

Lana gasped loudly, her eyes widening. She slapped her hand onto her mouth, pure shock written all over her face.

"W-what?"

Her brother just nodded solemnly. He was not affected like she was. He did not even know what his parents were but he knew one thing for sure- Lana was his sister and he would protect her with his life.

"Those f*ckers!"

Her twin raised an eyebrow at the language spilling continuously from his older sibling's lips but instead of commenting, he found humour in the situation and smiled.

She slapped his arm with strength for his smile and exhaled dramatically. "And here I thought I was just another normal village girl."

Leo's entire demeanour changed as a thought crossed his mind. He stared at Lana for a few seconds, wondering if he should tell her but decided against it. It would be the best for everyone.

•••

Max gulped down the coffee in a hurry, pushing the mug to the side and looking back at the diaries.

So far he had made his way through 14 diaries. None of them made any sense.

In some, words like 'everlasting', 'twins' and 'revenge' would be circled continously, even holes in some parts of the circles to show the aggression gone into the writing.

His Father was out of his bloody mind. Diary entries varied from extremely long to extremely short.

But one thing was for sure. Maximus had a sister. From one diary entry, all he knew was that she had dirty blonde hair and green eyes and that she was a few years younger than him.

He yawned, forcing his eyes to continue reading the now blurry words. The sun was shining through the windows but the next diary entry was what really cuaght his attention.

Conclusion

It worked! We have our first ever zombie. Zarcon visited after hearing the news and delivered 20 unconcious bodies at our door. Revenge is best served with zombies.

Pathetic. For a moment, Max didn't realise who was mentioned in the short paragraph.

It took a few seconds for his sleep-deprived brain to work but as soon as it clicked, he shouted. Very loudly.

"Motherf*cking Zarcon that piece of bullsh*t!"

Ofcourse it had to be f*cking Zarcon.

•••

The phone rang out loudly beside the bed, vibrating against the oak bedside table.

Lana moaned in dissapointment and stretched, releasing a yawn in the process.

Max's phone rang louder and the bold font read the word 'Rafael' on his apple phone.

Lana distinctly remembered the name and shifted, gripping the phone in her hand.

A heavy amount of anger crashed into her mind and Lana groaned, clutching her head in pain. It was surreal how strong their mate bond was without marking.

Her vision blurred, turning into a big mess of colour and she cried out in pain. This didn't feel like the mate bond.