Sound

The next morning I am awoken by the sound of commotion somewhere far off in the distance

Ignoring the sounds, I roll over on my back and wonder why Andres is making breakfast.

I usually make the breakfast at home, so it's unusual that he's awake before me.

Sitting in silence for a few minutes, I wait for the smell of homemade coffee to fill my nostrils, but when it doesn't appear I frown into the mattress.

Trying to grab a fistful of covers tighter over my body, my eyes dart open when I only find a blue blanket and not a homemade feather comforter.

The fact that I am not at home barely registers in my brain before I am being tossed some clothes and an apron to wear.

Realizing it can't be later than six in the morning, I groan in response. I am not a morning person despite the fact that it's been years since I've ever slept past eight.

Holding the plain dress in my arms, I scan the room to see if there is a bathroom I can use to get dressed in. Much to my disappointment, I find none, based on the fact that all of the other women are shamelessly changing in front of one another.

Biting my lip, I start reluctantly taking off my pale blue patchy dress, folding it on my bed as I finish stepping into the tan and white nurse uniform.

It's a stiff white button up dress, along with a cloth apron which suits my form rather comfortably, and for once I'm glad that the skirt is loose and the bodice is not too tight.

I've never liked the confinement of Woodson fashion dresses, which are cinched around the waist until you couldn't breathe. But unlike in Woodson, clothes for the army are made for practicality, not vanity.

I sigh in contentment after getting dressed.

Only minutes later, all of the women with matching uniforms are walking through the forest to go to the central camp with the confused new recruits, including myself, chasing behind.

We aren't really sure what we're supposed to be doing since no one bothered to tell us anything, but I can't help but feel like quick adjustment is part of the job.

Nonetheless, I manage to catch up out of breath just in time to hear Beatrice welcoming us into the medical tent. Seeing her bright smile, I briefly wonder how she could be so happy this early in the morning.

I say hello to her and stand in the back of the decent sized gathering, maybe a hundred women all circled around the woman waiting for her instructions.

"Good morning everyone!" She starts. "The people who's names have already been documented can go over there and wait for Julia's roll call. Anyone new can stay here with me."

With that sentence, half of the group parts to heed directions from an old woman, who I assume is Julia, who has already begun calling out names. Beatrice faces what's left - the new Woodson women.