Deliverance

I'm extremely and crucially nervous, but I don't think Adeline can tell

The plan is pretty simple: We all run like hell across the battlefield, and hopefully make it to the nurse's station in one piece.

But when the two generals of the Other and Nation armies stand face to face talking to one another, I could sense the tension in the air like a string waiting to be snapped.

I could smell the blood of the last battle we had.

Flashbacks of Hawk telling us to move out, the sensation of slick sweat on the trigger of my automatic rifle. The rotten smell of flesh suffocating the air like perfume, as men older than me screamed.

Kade going missing from my side, making me feel so fearful of dying alone.

And then, a girl running across the field.

A light in the dark.

Adeline, off to rescue Kade.

Where would I be, if she wasn't there?

"Give up," says the Other general, as he confronts the Nation army.

They do this every time there is a battle, as if one side would surrender willingly.

Being a Nation soldier myself, I know that would never be the case.

"Never," answers the Nation general, boys hooting in support.

The Other general nods, but barely gives any time before saying "strike."

"Go." Replies the Nation man to our forces.

That's when the fight really begins, a shotgun going off at the orders, a yelling of directions and cries of pain or victory.

But that's not what I should be worried about now, not as I look at Kade, Andres, and Adeline.

The plan, Camillo.

Right.

Kade nods at me to go, and I return it.

It's now or never - the fight has already started.

Kade has always been my sort of sidekick when it came to any battle. However, today he knew that I would rather be by Adeline's side, because I knew I was the only one capable of protecting her the best.

Despite Andres' doubts and what he told me before we decided to split up.

Right after Adeline outlined our plan and discussed the details - just a few minutes ago - her brother pulled me aside.