Strangers

As I walk away from the sleeping girl, Kade pats the log next to him, gesturing for me to sit down by the bonfire

"What was that about?"

Honestly? I don't know. I wonder to myself, not sure why I felt so irritated by the fact that Adeline ran too impulsively after her brother.

We barely know each other. Just because she helped Kade doesn't mean that I have the right to tell the girl what to do. If she wants to run into fire, why not let her? But I was so frustrated that she so willingly put herself in danger, I just judged her for it before I even knew why she did it.

If Kade were in danger, I would run after him no matter the consequences.

Isn't that the same thing?

Didn't I do the same thing this morning too, when I ran into the woods after realizing Kade was missing from battle? That's how we got into this mess in the first place.

Sighing, I shake my head."I don't know, Kade."

Kade frowns, looking over his shoulder at Adeline and her brother. "Well it wasn't very nice. You usually are more careful about what you say."

I see what he means, because just from the way she looks at him, I can tell that Adeline and Andres are close siblings - closer than even me and Kade. She watches over him constantly, it's almost obsessive. And with their matching dark hair and blue eyes, I don't know why I didn't realize their relationship sooner.

"I know. I just didn't know why she would run out into such a dangerous situation. She could get killed, you know. The girl keeps getting herself into trouble."

I run my hands through my hair and terribly remember the first day I met her. Adeline seemed so frightened on the ground with a bruise on her cheek, and I wanted to help her. It was so dark out - what was she doing there? There are so many unanswered questions, yet I still seem to be so drawn to her.

What is it about brunettes with pale skin, and bright eyes? I ask myself, totally resigned. I keep replaying the way Adeline wiped the dirt off her dress and the tears in her eyes. She was crying after encountering those disgusting soldiers. She was afraid. But then within a millisecond, in front of me and Kade, she just got up off the ground, as if nothing had happened.

Just like the bruise on her face, there is no trace of that fragile girl now. Today, she is feisty and headstrong, if her quick comebacks are anything to go by. We walked her to her bed, and then I learned her name. Then Kade and I left the women's section of the camp.