Treading Softly

The very next morning, Camillo, Kade, Andres and I are up and ready to get going

There are knapsacks full of supplies on each of our backs courtesy of Darrell, so we are well prepared for a long and safe travel.

According to him, the walk back to our legion's army camp location should only take two or three days max depending on how fast we are. It should be easy thanks to the directions Darrell has given us, yet, I remember seeing a hint of worry in his eyes while telling us the route we should take.

The general knows that we would be running a large risk of encountering enemy camp bases along on our way there. Not to mention, I am still meant to deliver a time sensitive note.

Did he choose me to be it's deliverer because I am a girl?

It may be less conspicuous for a woman to be a valuable asset than a Nation soldier. Who would suspect a young nurse?

The idea is rather well thought out, and I have to commend Darrell for that. He has been nothing but kind to me and my friends, and has shown to think highly of my character by entrusting me with such a task.

I am honored, but that doesn't make it any less dangerous. I try not to think too hard about the possible consequences of my actions.

If I am caught...

No, I reprimand myself. I won't be.

"Ready?" I ask the group, turning towards them.

Each boy nods their head at me, and I take it as a sign to lead the way. We have already said goodbye to Darrell after breakfast, so we take off into the Southern forest, the letter the general gave me weighing heavily in my jacket's breast pocket.

After thinking hard about it, I decided that no one else besides Darrell and I needs to know about the note since it will only put them in more danger. God forbid we get caught by Others on the way - If they all knew about the note, we could all get killed for being spies. Meanwhile, if the note is apprehended and I am caught, death will be my fate and my fate only.

I will not have somebody else's life on my hands.

Sighing, I shift the knapsack of supplies on my shoulders as haul the hefty materials further up on my back. In the process, I wince when the bag hits directly onto some of my slowly healing bruises.

As we walk into the woods further East than we were before, I remember yesterday when Camillo pointed out that I was hurt.

Yes, my body is still sore from being knocked around like a doll, but the memories are more painful than the bruises themselves. The aching of my torso will disappear, unlike the ghost of a man's unwanted touch on my skin trying to get under the hem of my nightgown.

I shiver, the action having nothing to do with the weather. How helpless could I have been that night, if Camillo and Kade did not show up? I grit my teeth together hard, the flashbacks of my fear looming over my consciousness again and again, the events replaying in my brain.