Morning

I wake up to the sound of birds chirping, echoing off the walls

What day is it?

The air is chilly and my back is sore, so I don't want to wake up just yet. Still closing my eyes, I stay still for a few minutes, allowing my heavy body to wake up to its surroundings. I have a blanket over me, and the cushion next to me is inviting, so I snuggle into the warmth thinking I'm back home in my bed in Woodson.

At home I always used to sleep with something in my arms, whether it was a pillow or Andres or my childhood doll, so I'm not surprised to feel something beside me that is comforting.

But when I open my eyes, that someone beside me is not Andres.

I make a noise at the back of my throat, pushing the large body away from mine.

What is he doing here?

Rolling over on the ground away from me, Camilo groans from the movement. He was still sleeping, and I just woke him up. Standing up and brushing off my clothes, I walk over to Camilo and slap him on the head.

"Ouch! What was that for?"

"Good morning," I state coldly. "Mind telling me why I woke up next to you?"

Rubbing the back of his head, he sighs, "You were cold last night, so I gave you my jacket. I guess I accidentally fell asleep after that."

I glance back at the spot where I was sleeping, and sure enough, Camillo's camouflage jacket lays on the floor where I left it.

So that was what I thought was a blanket.

But then where is Andres?

I decide not to reply to Camillo, shoving him hard once on the chest before walking away. Just because it wasn't an accident doesn't make it any less annoying, and I don't appreciate the invasion of personal space - even if it was sweet that he lended me his jacket.

Determined not to let myself dwell on it, I look around for Andres. The cave is small enough that I know my brother is not here anymore, so I head outside of the dim cave into the sunlight. Over to the right, I find Kade laughing at something my brother said, both sitting on logs outside with sticks over the pit of flames.

"Good morning," I hum to Andres, who looks like he woke up a while ago.

He smiles, already brightening up my day. "Good morning, sister."