Restrained

I feel dizzy waking up, but after a few minutes of staring at grey pebbles on the ground, I slowly regain all five senses

I sit up immediately knowing two things: One, all of my stuff is missing.

Worriedly, I pat down my clothes, letting out a relieved sigh when I assure myself that they didn't find the letter in the pocket of my jacket. The note withholding the note from Darrell is still safe, which means that the Others aren't aware of it yet.

Secondly, the next thing I notice is that I am in a tiny wooden hut, with Kade either asleep or unconscious on the dirt floor in the corner. I am still outside in the woods somewhere, but now it is dark outside. Not being able to move my hands or feet, I scoot over on my butt towards Kade, wincing when I twist my throbbing head.

"Kade." I whisper, my voice hoarse.

Without having a supply of fresh water, my voice feels like sandpaper. But with no answer from Kade, I nudge him on the ground.

"Hmm?" He grumbles, eyes still closed.

"Kade, wake up."

Eyebrows furrowed, Kade opens two bright green orbs and blinks at me. His orangey hair is disheveled and one of his military jacket sleeves is ripped up to his forearm. He looks at me confused at first, but perhaps seeing the worry in my expression, he tries to sit up, doubling over in the process. Groaning, he manages to flop himself over from his resting position into a sitting one, his hands and legs also bound by rope. He must be a little sore from his struggle against the Other soldiers trying to tie him down earlier, and is feeling the effects of their strength.

"Where are we?"

"Do you remember what happened?"

I hope this incident didn't make his previous concussion worse - he is still recovering from a blow to the head.

"Oh." He states, his posture now upright and aware.

Seeing his reaction, it is clear that he recalls what situation we are currently in. I search the room desperately for something that could maybe help us get out of here, but the place is completely barren of everything except dirt, gravel, and walls.

"We need to get out of here," I huff.

Andres is probably scared to death, and I need to find him before anyone hurts him.

"Have any ideas?"

We both sit and think to ourselves for a couple minutes before someone opens the makeshift-twig door that briefly reveals a campfire and surrounding tents beyond the threshold. Standing in the doorway, an ugly and tall brown haired man sneers down at Kade and I.

"Nation members, I see."

"What's it to you? We aren't spies, if that's what you're thinking. Just let us go." Kade stays calm, but there is a slight shakiness to his voice.