19

They left not even an hour after that, Steve had put me back onto his floor with the promise of returning.

I glared at him as he left, he gave me a sorry look as he closed the door.

He was gone for three days before he came back home though.

He looked... wrong.

His shoulders were low and his face looked like he'd been crying. His gaze was focused on the ground as he walked in.

I padded up to him carefully, one of my paws frozen midstep as I mewed up at him.

He met my eyes, "Hey Dot," was all he said. His voice sounded thick with emotion, I didn't like it.

He sat on the couch and put his head in his hands.

I jumped up onto the couch with him, giving another mew as I put my paw on his thigh.

He sighed heavily before giving in and picking me up.

I started to purr, "I don't know why I even have this job," Steve told me.

I looked up at him.

"I can't even protect my team..." he told me.

I tilted my head at him before rubbing my cheek against his face.

"His name was Pietro, you met him earlier," Steve told me, was he talking about the white haired guy from earlier? Did something happen to him?

"I should've thrown him my shield," Steve muttered as he curled up on the couch.

I started to gently lick his face, I didn't like it when he was sad...