25- Disgusting Rumors

EDON

I drifted in and out of sleep after Lhiam left but woke fully when the sun was high in the sky. It took me a few minutes to realize that I had actually slept more than a few hours the night before, and I knew it was all thanks to Lhiam. It wasn't just that he had exhausted my body— because gods, what that man could do with his tongue and his hands and his cock had me squirming at even the thought— but I was safe with him. I felt safer in his arms than I had ever felt.

I slunk from the bed, dressing as quickly as I could, and made my way out to the south garden. If it was noon, which I suspected it was due to the sun's alignment in the sky, Lacy would be having lunch in the garden. And I was certain she would share.

My growling stomach demanded it.

"Nice to see you up and moving around, kid," Robert said, clapping me on the back when I entered the garden's gate. He stood watch over Lacy, who knelt on a small blanket, daintily chewing on a vegetable sandwich.

"Edon!" she called when she caught sight of me. She jumped up, running at me and throwing her arms around my waist. I stiffened, even now, after dozens of these hugs from the girl, thrown off by the affection I felt in her arms. She squeezed tightly and then pulled back, looking up at me with sparkling eyes. "I'm so glad you're alright! Lhiam wouldn't let me come see you. He wouldn't let anyone in the room; stupid, overprotective men."

I flinched at the words, at another reminder that Lhiam was ashamed of me, was keeping me, and our relationship, a secret. Like I was something shameful. Something dirty he couldn't let anyone know he was fucking. I hoped the child hadn't noticed the move. But I knew she had, because she was suddenly frowning and dragging me to her blanket.

"Sit, Edon. I don't have any meat, because I didn't know you would be joining me. But a vegetable sandwich won't hurt you."

I chuckled and gratefully accepted the sandwich and the apple she lobbed over to me.

"I'm so glad you and my cousin finally got past your individual stupidities," Lacy said suddenly, just as I took the first bite of my sandwich. I stared at her, trying to keep my mouth from hanging open, and could feel a deep blush run across my face. "I'm surprised to see you up and about. And with only the smallest hint of a limp."

"Lacy!" I finally managed to choke out, and the girl dissolved into giggles, clutching her stomach as she shook her head. Robert's soft laughter behind me made me want to dig myself into a hole.

"You should see your face, Edon!" she gasped, wiping at her eyes, as if to brush away tears of mirth. "What, you think I don't know what you two have been up to for near two days? I happen to know, from sources I will not name, mind you, that you woke from your injuries almost two days ago. I'm not a child, Edon."

I glared over at Robert, who was adamantly refusing to meet my eyes, but also hadn't stopped laughing, and then back to Lacy.

"I'm glad," she whispered, and I had to strain my ears to hear her words. "My cousin deserves happiness, and you make him so happy, Edon. I'm glad we found you. I'm glad you're here. I'm glad you seem to feel the same way—"

"— Lacy," I cut in, laying the bitten sandwich on the cloth she had set out for me. I shook my head, trying to clear my thoughts. How could I explain to this child something that tore my heart open each time I thought of it? How could I explain to her that her cousin and I could never take our relationship further than the bedchamber? It wasn't something I was comfortable explaining to a girl her age. "Lacy, it's not like that. Your cousin and I... "

I shook my head, unable to find the words, but Lacy was staring at me as if I had spat in her face. 

"You do not love Lhiam?" she asked gently, her eyes widening in horror as some kind of realization hit her at her own words. "Edon! You didn't... You didn't sleep with Lhiam because you felt... indebted to him, did you? Oh no, he's going to be—"