Blast From the Past

Monday morning started off like any other day, I got up to make breakfast for my brothers, this morning we were having link sausage and eggs, then I ran up to get ready for school while Leroy and Lance did the dishes. It was that way every morning because my brother’s did more harm in the kitchen than help, especially since they were experts at burning water.

Wanting to look better than my usual so that I could give the new student a warm welcome, I picked my favorite denim skirt, and paired it with a cute black, lacy top with a pink, thin strapped top beneath it. I piled my hair into a neat bun, and put some pink feather earrings in my ears, finishing the outfit off with a pair of black and pink flip flops from Roxy. If you haven’t guessed by now, my absolute favorite color combination is black and pink. Taking one last glance in the mirror, and satisfied with my appearance, I grabbed my shoulder bag and headed down stairs to meet my brothers.

I noticed they were a little dressed up today, Lance with his Khaki cargo pants and black plaid shirt with a black undershirt beneath it, and Leroy in a pair of baggy dark blue Ecko jeans and a Blue Ecko shirt with the signature rhino on the front. They both smelled of the cologne I bought them for Christmas, Dolce & Gabana. I raised an eyebrow at them, “So, decided to play dress up today, did you?”

They both smiled sheepishly, “Just trying to look our best for the new chick.” Lance answered.

“You don’t even know if it’s a girl.”

Leroy shrugged his shoulders, “No biggie, we can still use our handsome looks to snag our skirt of the week if it isn‘t.”

I rolled my eyes, used to their lady killer attitudes, and made my way out to the car. We all shared a car, we weren’t privileged enough to each own our own vehicles, but my brothers did have mopeds which they sometimes used to get to school, while I took our Range Rover. Today being a practice day, we all rode together and my brothers would catch a ride home with Blayne while I drove the car home right after school.

Lance chose to drive today, so I jumped in the back letting Leroy have the front. We made it to school in 20 minutes, and once we pulled into the parking lot I saw Blayne leaning against his Blue Siverado, waiting for me like he did every school day. It might seem weird that my boyfriend didn’t pick me up like most boyfriends do, but our school was between his house and mine so it just made sense to meet here unless we stayed over one another’s houses which happened from time to time.

As soon as Lance parked, I was out the door and running into the arms of my boyfriend, kissing him as if we’d been apart for days instead of a few hours. He kissed me back with just as much passion and I could taste the mint of his toothpaste with the sweetness of syrup, “Mmmm, somebody had pancakes for breakfast.” I smiled against his lips.

He returned my smile, “Yup, mom’s favorite banana pancakes with old fashioned butter pecan syrup all over it.”

I moaned in jealousy, I loved his mom’s pancakes. As if sensing my thoughts, he reached into the bed of his truck, revealing a foil covered plate with a little container of syrup on top of it, “She didn’t!” I gasped, anxiously taking the plate from his hands.

“Oh, but she did. My mom knows how crazy you are about her pancakes, and she wouldn’t let me leave the house without forgetting her favorite girl’s very own plate of ‘em.”