Hoe Down, Throw Down

Tuesday morning was upon us and I followed my brother’s silently to the car all the while examining Leroy. If I wasn’t mistaken, there was a bit of a hop to his step. He jumped in the driver’s seat and began whistling. This was definitely new, he was never happy about waking up early nor going to school. I was pretty sure a certain best friend of mine was the cause of his change. I couldn’t wait to get the full story from Keri, minus any intimate details of course.

As soon as we arrived, I rushed out of the car anxious to beat my brother to Keri, before he hogged her like I’m sure he was planning to. I found her and Leah waiting by the stairs and without issuing a greeting, grabbed both their hands and pulled them into the nearest girls restroom.

“Spill!” we all said simultaneously causing us to laugh.

“The one with the biggest news has to go first, that’s you Keri so spill those beans,” I ordered with a hand on my hip meaning business.

“Fine, but we only have half an hour before the tardy bell rings. That’s not enough time to tell you all the details.” she stated.

“You can fill in those at lunch, for now I just want to know who caved first.”

“I’m betting it was Leroy,” Leah predicted.

Keri blushed, squirming a little. That was something she didn’t do often, “Actually, it was me.”

“What?!” Leah and I asked surprised.

“Yeah, I kind of blurted out my feelings in front of everyone at the pool. I was sure Leroy was going to let me down easy but he shocked me by admitting he felt the same. I told him I didn’t want to be just another friend with benefits and he admitted he wanted more than that with me.”

“That’s so sweet. Who knew our Leroy could be that way?” Leah gushed.

“Not me, that’s for sure. I always thought of him as a sleeze ball,” I said honestly.

“Hey, that’s my boyfriend you’re talking about,” Keri grumbled.

There was an awkward moment of silence. If I was going to have to watch everything I said about my butthead brother, our friendship was going to suffer. Keri kept a serious face for about a second more before she burst out in laughter, “Got ya! If you’re going to diss him, at least get it right. He wasn’t a sleeze ball, he was a man slut; but that’s changed now. He’s mine and only mine.”

I admired her confidence in him. To accept him knowing he didn’t have the cleanest past was inspiring, but I guess it was easy for her because she comes from a similar one.

“I’m happy for you guys,” Leah said smiling.

“Me too, now we’re one step closer to being sisters-in-law,” I added.

Keri put her hands up, “Whoa, whoa, whoa! Don’t get ahead of yourself there. We just started as a couple. That’s the closest I’ve ever come to something serious, marriage is the farthest thing from my mind right now.”