Surprise Visitor

Dad dropped me off at home with one last reminder that I was not to go anywhere. He also suggested I call in at work today. There was a bump on the back of my head which was causing me a bit of a headache so it would be best to take a day off. He watched until I was safely stowed inside before driving off and heading back to work. 

I gingerly made my way upstairs. Now that the adrenaline running through me during the fight was gone, I could feel each and every bruise I knew would be forming. My knees were tender, my knuckles chaffed, and the scratch on my face was starting to sting. Putting my bag down on the bed, I went to the bathroom to get the antiseptic and aspirin from the cabinet. Who knew what disgusting things were lingering under Becca’s nails. Once that was done, I scoured my drawers for a shorts and tank quickly realizing I would need to do a load of laundry soon or risk having to wear the old school clothes I always pushed to the back of my drawers.

Grabbing a pillow, blanket, and the aspirin, I headed to the kitchen for some ice. Opening the freezer I saw in the very back corner there were two bags of frozen vegetables and, feeling lazy, decided to use those instead. I grabbed a bottle of water and gulped down the pills then made my way to the entertainment room to chill and watch a movie. I had just settled in to watch 21 Jumpstreet, I was in the mood for some comic relief after this morning’s events, when the door bell rang. At first I thought I was hearing things. It was about ten in the morning, who would be at my front door? I remained snuggled under my blanket, convinced it was all in my mind before it rung again.

I got up with the blanket still wrapped around me and walked to the front door. Taking a peek out the peep hole, I immediately stepped back in shock. Why would he of all people be visiting my house when he’s supposed to be in school? The door bell rung for the third time startling me out of my thoughts. I opened it with confusion clearly written on my face, and met the worried brown eyes of Caleb.

“Hey, what are you doing here?” That may have come off as a little rude, which wasn’t my intention, but I was confused as hell as to why he was here.

He smiled, not offended in the least and answered, “I just wanted to see if you were okay.”

What? “Why wouldn’t I be?”

He pulled his phone out of his pocket and after some fiddling with it, faced the screen my way. Playing there was none other than my fight. It was then I remembered all the phones being held up amongst the crowd that was watching it go down. There must be a bunch of videos like this floating around. Just great.

“I have to say, pretty impressive fighting skills. Remind me never to piss you off,” Caleb said playfully. I averted my eyes from his phone and took in his appearance. He looked good enough to eat. He was wearing a pair of loose fitting cargo shorts and a black T&C Surf shirt. His hair was artfully messed and he smelled of Axe. I never much preferred that smell on my brother’s but on Caleb it was addicting.

He put his phone away and brushed a hand a little below the scratch on my cheek. “How are you?”

Flustered, confused, and majorly attracted to you. “I’m okay,” I answered. “I can’t believe you cut school just to check on me.”

He blushed a little, which I found endearing, before speaking, “Actually, I have a free period right now with lunch right after. I called your phone first, but when you didn’t answer I called your brother to see how you were. He said you got sent home and I figured since I was free I would check on you.”