Cornered

Jack wasn't sure how he ended up in this scenario. For starters, he was stuck in an apocalypse. No, it was not a zombie apocalypse or whatever fantasies they make nowadays. This was a chaotic world where giants seem to have come out of nowhere and overtaken the entire planet. Buildings and civilization as they knew it was destroyed; animals hid and became much more aggressive; humans had to run too, or else they would be devoured by the man-eating, gargantuan monsters.

For Jack, things had been pretty rough. At the beginning of his footrace for survival, it rained a fucking bunch. He was wet and cold all the time, but as least the rain hid his scent. He made his way across the UK and snuck onto a boat that shipped a few other humans across the waters, but they had to pay the captain food in exchange. Jack stumbled onto Floridian soil and made his way across the United States. He had to hide from lots of giants, using his small, skinny size, and the luck of the Irish. It felt like ages before he finally made it to the abandoned city of Los Angeles, California. For a moment, there was hope when Jack finally made it to see the once great city on the horizon. Los Angeles could afford plenty of hiding places, and there was a good chance of some stuff to scavenge. But then, when he had retired to a cave to sleep in a safe hiding place, he was startled to find out that it was being occupied by a pack of ravenous wolves.

And so, he was currently on the run for his very life.

Jack was already out of breath as he clambered over a fallen tree log. The wolves seemed nonexistent, lacking bodies, but their howls pierced the twilight and sent shivers running down his spine; they were everywhere, all around and at once. His legs were jelly as he stumbled forward, weighed down by fatigue, but he kept going. He looked over his shoulder and caught a fleeting glimpse of a lanky shadow. His breath hitched, and just as he turned around again he smacked into something that sent him reeling. He collapsed with a yelp, stunned for a few seconds before he groaned and sat up.

"Ow!" He muttered. He was about to get up when he saw what was blocking his way: An immense shoulder, covered in a wall of black fabric. His eyes widened. His breath suddenly quickened a mile a minute, and he watched in transfixed horror as the shoulder shifted. A face was revealed, and the giant yawned languidly before its eyes fluttered open, unfocused. Jack pedaled back a bit as the eyes blinked and hazily looked around, unfocused, before they settled on him. The giant's eyes widened, and a curious rumble reverberated in his chest, shaking Jack to the very bone.

As he scrambled to his feet and started backing away, he heard a scuttle of paws and turned to see the wolf pack peering at him through the bushes. He gasped and backed away, trembling so violently that it was a wonder he could stay upright. He felt a warm breath before a hand came in front of him. He whimpered as the hand gently pulled him away from the wolves and guided him to the giant. Jack tried to make a break for it, but the hand just blocked it. Helpless, he was pulled up to the giant's chest, and his world went dark as he was gently pinned against solid bone and powerful muscles.

The giant growled at the wolves. The puny predators yipped nervously, and then one made the daring mistake to take a step forward. The giant bared his teeth and roared aggressively, and the wolves yelped as they turned tail and ran. Jack had flinched against the immense being and closed his eyes. He shuddered as a tear escaped him and rolled down his cheek. He was at the complete mercy of an apex predator.

He hiccupped with a sob as the giant relaxed and looked down at his catch. He rumbled curiously, and he frowned when he felt Jack cringe. He slowly sat up, taking the human with him, and turned over so he was upright. He slowly uncupped his hand and found himself holding a tiny Irishman that was starting to burst into tears. He whined and lowered his head to sniff the human, wondering if it was hurt.