Game of Survival

It took Jack a while to wake up. He struggled just to drag his mind from the sticky, clingy cobwebs of unconsciousness as his head pounded like a gong. His eyes slowly opened, and he found himself squinting in a harsh yellow beam of light.

"Aha! He iz awake!" Jack frowned as a silhouette shadowed him. "Hallo!" The accented voice said cheerfully. "You ahr not dead! Zat is gud, veeeerry gud. I mean, not zat it vould make a difference, but I like to talk to my patients before zey die." Jack could have sworn he recognized that voice.

"Do I... know you?" He asked weakly.

"Ah, you ahr Signe's boyfriend, no? Vell, I thought so." The figure stepped closer and crouched in front of Jack. Staring out from a surgeon mask and black-framed glasses were shockingly bright blue eyes that practically glowed with a wild, eccentric eagerness. "I am a doctor," the German continued gleefully. "My colleagues simply call me 'Ze gud Doctor'."

"Y-you kidnapped her," Jack mumbled groggily. The doctor smiled coldly and gripped a clump of Jack's hair, shaking his head.

"Vell, kidnap iz a very strong word. I, ah, borrowed her! Do not vorry, I did not harm her. At least, not yet." Jack was still out of it, but anger boiled under his skin.

"Y-yer-yer crazy...!" He grunted. "Y-ye son of a bitch..." The doctor tsked and waved his finger.

"Zos ahr very bad things to say, you naughty boy." He suddenly laughed like he'd been told the best joke ever. It sent shivers down Jack's spine and helped him wake up. The doctor stood and walked across the room to drag over an old fashioned tv. Jack looked around; he was tied to a chair. He was stuck in an old, grimy room with one large window that was secured by thick steel bars, and the only furniture in the room was the old rickety chair, the bright spotlight, the tv that the madman had, and the rug under Jack's feet.

"Zere ve go." The doctor turned on the tv. Static crackled on the screen, until the image cleared away to a series of old camera screens. The doctor clicked on a remote and blew up one of the screens. Jack's breath hitched.

"You traveled vit zees three, yes?" He panned between three different screens: The first one showed Ethan isolated in a cell large enough to contain him, with a shackle around his ankle. He was huddled up in the corner, his face pressed in his knees and looking miserable. The second showed Mark, and he was glaring straight at the camera. Chains shackled him around the neck and ankle. But Tyler's was the worst. He was covered in shackles, completely immobile and laying in the center of his cell. As soon as a human-sized door to the cell opened, Tyler lashed his limbs and snarled like a cornered animal, straining against his chains. The lab assistant, Jack deduced, was shaking a little as he walked in cautiously and held out a large plastic bag of something. Tyler suddenly stopped and immediately turned his head, and his eyes turned silver as he rumbled with an intense stare.

The assistant tossed the bag and scuttled to a safe distance as Tyler swung his head and caught the large bag midair. He bit down, and a dark colored liquid dribbled down his chin. Jack gagged and tried to look away, but he found he couldn't as Tyler disturbingly devoured the bag whole; It was bloody.

"You cannot save dem," the doctor said, "My subjects have all lost zer hormonal balances vit ze gift of power and strength. It iz only a matter of time before ze other two of your 'friends' succumb to zer instincts." Jack kept the bile down and looked up at the doctor.

"Yer insane!" He shouted. "What the hell is the matter with you!? Why are you doing this to people! Millions of lives have been lost!" The doctor waved an imaginary fly away.

"Nothing but numbers. My work iz too important to be slowed down by simple tingz like death. Death iz only a part of ze circle of life." He waved his hand, and two men entered the room. "Subject Two and Three have not eaten for a while. I think it iz only a matter of time before you vill make a nice snack for one of dem."