Sanctuary

When Jack finally opened his eyes, it was almost midday. The sun peeked through light drizzly fog when it could, but the world was misty and dark green. Jack's eyes rolled back as he summoned his strength, and he forced himself to sit up. He looked around and saw that he was resting in Mark's plushy raven hair. The air felt warm and humid, but there was a slightly chilly bite to it. Jack tried to get up, but he was quickly reminded of his hurt leg and stopped.

He felt Mark turn his head a little as the giant rumbled at the other two. Tyler growled in agreement, and they stopped walking. Ethan plopped down tiredly, yawning magnificently in the misty sunlight, while Tyler trudged off to find some kind of resources. Mark sat down carefully beside Ethan, and Ethan's eyes rounded when he noticed that Jack was awake. The Irishman smiled weakly and waved, making a shushing gesture so that the young giant wouldn't alarm Mark. Ethan's eyes shined with understanding, and he looked away obediently. Mark yawned too and slumped a little, his eyes drooping tiredly and his shoulders hunched. Jack carefully lay back down and turned over on his side, exhaling. He was surprised to feel Mark suddenly reach up and gently rub his back, but he quickly relaxed and closed his eyes, smiling gratefully.

Tyler soon returned with a handful of wriggling fish. They shared them eagerly and purred their gratitude. Ethan yawned and rubbed his eyes as he leaned against Tyler, who rumbled softly and also yawned. Mark purred sleepily and leaned against a tree, and the three giants quickly dozed off. Jack let them sleep for a bit, as well as himself, but then he got up and hobbled his way cautiously down his large buddy. He stifled a groan as he put weight on his bad leg and almost buckled into a patch of pretty flowers, but he got a grip and forced hisself to to be strong.

I wonder where we are? What country we're in? It's very pretty. Reminds me of home. But when he thought of "home," all that came to him was a flash of a large city, and then for some reason the color green. Jack frowned. Wait, why am I calling this place home? I lived in Brighton! Before... Jack shook his head and dropped it. His mind was too fuzzy to think. I'm just still frazzled. I'm lucky to be alive. He glanced at the torn up leg and felt dizzy.

I need some water. He hobbled away from his three gargantuan friends and went up to a small creek. Getting down on his knees was tricky, but it was worth it in the end when he could get a few handfuls of fresh, delicious water that wasn't salty nor shark infested. Jack sighed and noticed his dirty his skin was. He tried washing some of the dirt off his cheeks, but he definitely needed a shower. Well I'm a stinky boy. Jack cracked a smile at his reflection. I'm all tuckered out, but at least I've still got my good looks!

His reflection certainly looked amused, and Jack chuckled as he made a couple of terrible jokes to amuse himself. Then he got up and turned to head back to the others. His reflection watched him go with a snarling grin and green, menacing eyes. As Jack headed back to the clearing, some leaves suddenly rustled behind him. He stopped and looked around.

"Hello?" He called out carefully. No answer. A branch shuddered on his right, catching Jack's eye. He looked around, tensed nervously. His lungs were ready to scream for help if he had to. Then a figure suddenly jumped from a bush, and before Jack could properly yell another hand covered his mouth.

"Shh!" A light voice hissed, "There's giants close by!" Jack's eyes widened, and he ripped the hand off.

"Kathryn!?" The girl jumped in surprise as she recognized the Irishman.

"Jack?"

"Kathryn!" Two more girls stumbled out of the forest. All three were wearing dirty lab coats, and the girl who called out was Amy. And the girl beside him...