Road Trip

It was twilight when Tyler finally returned. Jack was about to fall asleep when Mark stirred, which coerced the Irishman to wake up. As Jack yawned and rubbed his eyes, he noticed the smaller giant at Tyler's side and smiled, recognizing Ethan.

Ethan looked around curiously before bounding up to Mark and hugging him with a content trill, only to back away and growl nervously at Jack's scent. Mark rumbled and assured him that it was ok, and the giant warily relaxed. Together, Tyler and Mark explained to Ethan what was up, and the young giant listened intently with wide eyes. Then, he looked up at Jack, and he purred curiously. Since his chest wasn't as broad as the others' his sounds were much higher, and they reminded Jack of a puppy. He smiled nervously and waved, and Ethan waved back, recognizing the gesture with a happy noise.

"So what now?" Jack looked at the others. "I saw some mentionings of a place called Vale Jisig, or the Valley of Knowledge... in some kind of language, I don't know what." Tyler narrowed his eyes with a wary growl. Ethan looked nervous at the name. Under Jack, Mark rumbled and shifted his shoulders; he had turned his head and looked in the direction of the coast.

"Wh-what Is it?" Jack asked. And then he realized. "It's across the ocean?" He guessed. Mark growled and bobbed his head in a nod. "Well... okay. We can get across that, right?" Jack said bravely. "It's just a quick trip across the pond!" Ethan whined. Tyler looked frustrated at his inability to speak human, therefor unable to inform Jack of how dangerous going to Asia was.

Mark at least tried to get the point across. He rumbled and pointed at his head, Tyler, and Ethan, and then made a sweeping gesture. He had to repeat it a couple of times before Jack went "Oh."

"There's more giants?" He frowned. "Oh, I get it. If this is the research facility where you guys escaped from, then there'll still be lots of other changed people there." Tyler and Ethan nodded as Mark tilted his head. Jack sighed. "Shit." Then he shook his head. "One step at a time, guys. Let's just get to the shore and we'll figure it out from there, ok? Then we can work on getting past everyone and finding a way to get you guys back to normal." They seemed to like that idea. It wasn't long before they began their journey, and within a few minutes they were out of the large city ruins and headed into an overgrown forest.

Jack watched as the sun set on the horizon, trying to keep his mind off of heights. He was nauseated just by looking down, and even now he was a bit queasy as Mark's gait swayed him from side to side. But he survived; the sun sank and disappeared from view, leaving its bloody rays behind, and the wind picked up. Occasionally, Mark would reach up for Jack and give him a gentle poke, and the Irishman would pat whichever finger was closest to reassure him. It was still surreal to them both, even if one was more animalistic than their past relationship they were still friends. Ethan was still as innocent and pure as ever, somehow never having eaten a single human. And Tyler was a lot nicer, now that he knew it was Jack: an okay human who didn't hurt anyone.

It startled Jack to feel something splash on his arm, and he twisted it around to look. Another drop hit his head, and then his hand, and then his back. It got quicker, and Jack realized that it was raining when the skies rumbled ominously, and then the heavens opened up and unleashed a torrent of downpour.

"Guys?" Jack yelped. Tyler scowled at the rain, and Ethan was covering his head with his hands. Mark did the same, but was trying to shield Jack from the rain. But it didn't work; within minutes, Jack was completely soaked to the bone and shivering, and everyone else was covered in water. The wind blew heavier sheets of rain and howled as thunder boomed overhead. Jack couldn't stop shivering. Mark roared at Tyler, and the giant snapped back. They went back and forth for a few seconds before Ethan piped up, and they seemed to finally agree on something. Jack shuddered before Mark suddenly picked up the human and held him against his chest, trying to shield Jack with his body. Jack shivered violently and buried his face in his breastbone, shaking uncontrollably. Tyler, having disappeared for a few seconds, suddenly vocalized a little ways off. He had found a narrow ravine they could take shelter in for the night. Ethan hurried off to him and helped Tyler make the opening a little wider so that they could all fit, while Mark worried over their little buddy.