|20|

'Sing me to sleep' remix ^

2654 words

Despite another cold shower to ease the dizzying fire that clawed in her system, she didn't feel much better. Her throat was dry no matter how much  water she drank, and the sheets of her bed felt like they were strangling her. Pacing her room didn't help, nor did playing her favourite music super loud through headphones.

Chesca kicked herself for not remembering that during a full moon, a female who hadn't completed the mating bond goes into heat. It was just nature's way of hurrying things along if the mates were shy or stubborn or headstrong or just plain out had no desire for each other. That latter option didn't entirely apply to them, a part of her hated to admit as she recalled the way Kaiden had watched her by the fire, and the feel of his touch on her waist as he tried to get her to dance. Or the wordless understanding that had passed between their locked gazes when they awoke in the forest, in each other's arms. No, there was no denying that something was growing between them, as much as she despised the revelation.

The spa on her back porch sat cool and glistening in the silver night light, and Chesca decided she had time to waste. She hadn't used the large spa—which she always thought of as a mini pool—for ages due to lots of other things always crowding her mind and attention. The little time she had to herself after Alpha duties were completed she spent in sleeping, but it looked like tonight that wasn't going to be an option.

It didn't take long to slip into a bikini and traipse outside to the rooftop alcove. Switching on the lights that wavered beneath the water, she remembered just how calming and romantic it could be out here.

No.. Relaxing. Not romantic. She had no idea where that word had come from, but it didn't take many guesses. More than once, Kaiden's face splashed across her mind's eye as she sank to her chin in the cool water. Closing her eyes and resting her arms on the ledge behind her, she let herself relax, the tension slipping from her shoulders. The fire in her middle slowly calmed, and a goosebump or two even raced across her skin as a slight breeze sneaked its way over the porch railings.

Then a woodsy and very masculine scent reached her nose, one that almost had her jumping from the water and that didn't compare to the thirst inside her

Then a woodsy and very masculine scent reached her nose, one that almost had her jumping from the water and that didn't compare to the thirst inside her. But she bit her lip and clenched her jaw as his footsteps came closer.

"Wow, this place sure is lovely. I don't remember seeing it on my tour," Kaiden's deep and soothing voice wrapped around her like a luring drug, beckoning to all her senses.

She thought of many retorts to his sly compliment, but kept her lips shut, afraid she wouldn't stop herself once she got started. Or afraid she'd say something sappy and stupid she'd totally regret.

He walked into her field of vision, and tore off his shirt before she could react. His bare torso was achingly beautiful in the diffused light, his muscles defined like an expert artist had carved them just for her to admire.
It was hard tearing her eyes away, but knew she had to for the sake of her floundering dignity. He could probably already sense the blush on her cheeks from a mile away.
"How did you get in my room? The door was locked," she managed to say through a clamped throat and a racing heart.