|34|

2974 words

"Did you hear that?" Chesca gasped when her mouth broke contact with Kaiden's, their kiss suddenly at the back of her mind.

"I'm not deaf. Of course I heard that. Perfect timing, I must say," he muttered while stumbling back in the dark.

It was pitch black and all she had to give a sense of direction were her wolf instincts.
"I think it came from outside the window," Chesca stepped in that direction, where a pale light seeped in from the moon, but Kaiden's strong arm shot out to stop her.

"Wait, it could be dangerous!" he whispered loudly, his body blocking hers from anything that might be lurking outside.

"I'll be fine, just move!" She thumped on his impossibly hard muscled back and pushed past him. Only when she was a few metres from the window did she realise the state of her clothes. Or lack of. "Where's my shirt?" She hissed and turned to look for it, but the darkness was making it nearly impossible to see, and there was no way she was going to put a light on. Whoever or whatever was outside would have a perfect view, not to mention her overly excitable mate also.

"Here," Kaiden whisper-shouted and Chesca found herself suddenly smothered by a face full of material. Snatching at it in the dark, it was drenched in a scent suspiciously like Kaiden's, but she put it on anyway. A grunt and groan told her, her mate was still trying to reach the window.

"Be quiet, will you? You're gonna scare them awa— ow!" She tripped over an object and landed face first onto the ground.

"You okay?" His dark shadow loomed over her as she rolled onto her back and rubbed her sore nose. Kaiden began groping around in the darkness, feeling if she was still in one piece.

"I'm fine, just get your paws off me! You're such a klutz," she shoved him, maybe in the face;  she didn't care.

"Says the one on the floor."

"Shut it."

After what seemed like forever, they disentangled themselves and crawled to the window, pulling back the curtains to look out. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, but Chesca noted the shadows on the trees dancing peculiarly.

"Over there, look," she pointed and slid the window open, and started climbing out, stretching a leg to reach onto the adjoining balcony.

"Careful," Kaiden clawed at her arm and peered down at the ground.

It was a good 14 foot drop and she didn't particularly feel like falling, but she'd done this plenty of times before, and reclaimed her arm before his incessant grip yanked her to her death. Jumping over the railing, she flattened herself against the shadowed wall to remain hidden from whatever was out there. When Kaiden finally joined her after a seriously failed attempt to remain quiet, she edged her way forward again.

A few scraping sounds were coming from the roof that sloped just to the right of her, pieces of ancient tiles bouncing down to the ground, and she berated herself for not getting her baseball bat from beside her bed. If it was an intruder, a weapon would sure come in handy—but then again, she did have her Alpha mate right beside her. An overwhelming feeling of being safe and protected shivered through her tense body, calming her instantly, and it surprised her. She didn't want to feel this way for him; didn't want to rely on him for safety and a sense of security. After all, she was an Alpha herself.

"About what happened back there—"

"I don't want to talk about it," she shushed him and whacked him across the stomach.

"I was going to maybe apologise—"

"This is not the time, Kaiden!" she hissed. "Wait—you were going to apologise?" she queried and looked up at him in the dim light from both the moon and fluorescent light down in the yard. A strange smirk was playing on his face.