|37|

So the song above is beautiful for this chapter!!
I suppose you all know Alan Walker? And his song Alone? Well, this 'restrung' remix version is one of my faves ☺️☺️ I have so many of the remixes and they're each beautiful in their own way, but this suits Chesca and Kaiden's story so nicely ❤️❤️ you all gonna love the end of this chapter 😉😉😘😘😘

If this night is not forever
At least we are together
I know I'm not alone

3124 words

"What are you thinking?"

Kaiden stood by the window, staring at Chesca with a very odd expression on his face. It made her shift in her seat uncomfortably, but she broke the silence with the question. Leaning back in her chair, she awaited his reply while nervously tapping a pen on the desk.

"You're so beautiful," was his unexpected response, and he took a few steps toward her and rested both hands on the desk between them. His dark gaze riveted her to her chair.

"Really?" She heaved in a sharp breath. "We just receive this threat, and you're really thinking about that?"

"Well, okay then. You're ugly," he smirked with a cheeky grin.

"That's not what I meant," her eyes narrowed at his  childish behaviour. "I don't mind a compliment. You just chose a very funny time to give one."

"When dangers and threats keep coming at us, I think it's the perfect time."

"Kaiden, you're being melodramatic," Chesca crossed her arms with a sigh, trying hard to figure out this strange mood that had suddenly come over him.

"When enemies surround us on every side, I will protect you, my beautiful bride," he swept an arm wide and grinned at her.

"Don't be ridiculous."

But Kaiden continued, his voice rising with drama and tone as he neared the end of the verse. "When storms blow and tempests harm, I will hold you tightly in my arms."

"Stop, you're just embarrassing yourself," Chesca rolled her eyes and refused to meet his excited gaze.

He rounded the desk and spoke those last words in her ear. "When disaster strikes, my Love, I will keep you by my side."

"Where did you read such pathetic poetry? Did Alpha Asa give it to you?" Chesca exclaimed while standing abruptly.

"No, it's Breaksphere," he said flatly.

"You have one of her books?" It surprised her. Kaiden didn't seem like the poetry-reading Alpha type, the genre being much too romantic and senseless for his pragmatic and masculine tastes.

"I found it amongst your dusty library," he carelessly explained with a smirk, throwing the accusation back at her.

"You've been snooping in my library?" She'd forgotten she owned one of the ancient collections of sonnets, because she hadn't been in the library for such a long time, nor had the time to read sappy nonsense. Once upon a time, she had revelled in immersing herself in mystery and adventure, romance and action. But when her life had turned upside down, and only kept getting more and more strenuous, she'd sadly had to give up that relaxing past time of curling up in her favourite large armchair to read.

"You're changing the subject," Kaiden stalked closer with a playful grin, which she replied with a step back, bumping into the wall.

"Okay, okay sure, fine. But I'm going now," she tried sidestepping him to leave the office before he sprouted anymore lovely but utterly meaningless words, meant to sweep a weaker girl off her feet by the whimsical reciter.