|41|

3317 words 😄

Super long chapter! And it is EPIC!! So much goes down, and it's kinda the punchline of the whole plot. I pretty much wrote the story around the events in this chapter, so sit back and be prepared to be amazed! 😳 And shocked, and maybe even mad or excited ...idk, I'd love your feedback at the end 🙏♥️♥️
_____

"Was I too harsh on him?"

Charles scowled, gripping his coffee mug tightly. Lexi snickered and placed a hand over his. "My dear Alpha, if it was my mate disrespecting me so disgustingly, I would send him packing too."

Charles growled lowly at the impossibility of the statement, but nodded in agreement and affectionately rubbed his wife's hand.

"You know I can't do that," Chesca spread Nutella on her slice of bread, each action hasty and rough like they were the least important things on her mind. She angrily took a bite, "It would kill me. Well, not literally, but..."

"I know. The mate bond. It would hurt you both to be so far apart," Lexi sighed and looked at Charles, silently begging for answers to their Alpha's predicament.

"Not that I care if he hurts, but .... You know, maybe I'd be able to handle it. Maybe I should....reject him."

"What?" "No!" Charles and Lexi both leapt to their feet and gave her horrified looks.

"Aaaand...why not?" Chesca eyed her top command and best friends curiously. "Look, I was kidding anyway," she muttered when they just continued looking absolutely aghast, their mouths opening and closing in tandem like a couple of stunned fish. "Half kidding...maybe... I don't know," she slumped at the counter and buried her face in her hands.

Lexi snapped out of her stupor and rubbed circles on Chesca's back comfortingly. "I know you guys are going through a rough patch like every couple does, but I think you can work it out. Kaiden really is a great guy beneath all his bluster and macho-ism."

"Is that even a word?" Charles grunted, earning a heated glare from his mate.

"And and I've seen the relationship you've slowly been growing, believe it or not. We all knew from the start that having another Alpha around would be hard, and take some getting used to. But you just need to take it slow and figure out his place in this pack. His place in your life and heart. Because I know you need him, Ches. You can't give up on him."

"I know," Chesca whined, hating that she sounded like a grumpy teenager going through puberty. "But he keeps doing things that could destroy this place."

"I think that's exaggerating—"

"Elah's dead, because Kaiden couldn't tell him to keep his grimy paws to himself—"

"Elah's dead cos he's a pathological pervert," Lexi growled in disgust.

"—More of Kaiden's guards keep crossing our borders. And pretty soon we're going to have an all-out war and I just can't handle losing anyone else because of his arrogant, selfish, impulsive behaviour," Chesca finished her tirade long enough to  take a breath, her hands twisting together as if wringing the life out of something.

"There'll be no war if I have anything to do with it," the determination in Charles' statement sent waves of optimism and a sliver of relief through the Alpha. She had always known she could count on her Beta.

"We'll focus on making sure everyone stays safe and things run smoothly. You concentrate on working things out with your mate, okay?" Lexi offered.

"Finding your mate is an extraordinary blessing, Chesca," Charles took her hand gently and sincerely. "You two were meant to be together. And rank, positions, territories, and boundaries aren't going to alter the bond you share with Kaiden. Everything will become clear, if you just give it time and think clearly, and make the wisest decisions when problems arise."