|35|

Warning: this chapter is an emotional roller coaster, so strap in and don't say I didn't warn you 😏😏

3083 words

"He did what? That's so sweet!"

"He completely insulted me!"

"But he did say he was sorry," Lexi reasoned with those love-sick eyes of hers. "He's earned some more brownie points in my books."

"Well, isn't that just dandy," Chesca slammed her fist into the boxing bag, relieving some of the angst.

"So tell me you kissed and made up," Lexi queried, before ducking and avoiding the punch that came flying her way.

"We did nothing of the sort," Chesca proclaimed, tackling the guard to the soft grass of the training field. But Lexi leaped up and kneed Chesca in the back, making her topple forward.

"Too bad. I can't wait to see cute little Kaidens running around."

"Don't be nuts! That guy hates me! There's no way we're sleeping together any time soon," the Alpha grunted and continued deflecting and redirecting Lexi's well-aimed blows. Training outside was one her favourite parts of the day. And this afternoon was no exception, as it offered her a chance to hash with her best friend about the latest Kaiden kerfuffles.

"You guys are so ridiculous," the deep voiced addition to their private conversation startled them both. Roman jumped between them and tried taking them both down.

"You dare insult your Alpha?" Chesca glared at him, but they all knew it was a playful threat.

"Come on, everyone knows you and Kaiden are at odds with each other. Always fighting and bickering; never agreeing. I think it's stupid you guys don't just act like mates and get on with it."

"Well, thanks. But no one asked for your opinion, Gamma," Chesca easily pinned Roman's arms behind his back and forced him to his knees. Her Alpha strength was greater than his as a gamma male, and she took every opportunity now to remind him of that. "How would you act if your mate was an obnoxious jerk?"

"I'd kiss her and sweep her off her feet. No one can resist my charms," Roman bantered and grinned his most charming smile. The dimples in his cheeks were certainly cute, and Chesca laughed at his antics.

"Oh sure, that's totally going to work. It will be so fun seeing you fall in love, right Lex?"

"Of course! Our cute little Roman all grown up and wooing a mate? Adorable!" And the head guard slung an arm around his neck and ruffled his hair with her knuckles.

"Ow ow, knock it off," he squirmed and flipped her over his shoulder. "I'm not cute or adorable," he puffed out his chest and stood over her. "I'm masculine and intimidating," then he lurched forward awkwardly with a surprised expression on his face as Chesca tackled him over from behind.

They all three ended up rolling in the grass, giggling and joking with each other.

Yes, this was definitely Chesca's favourite time of day, when all she had to worry about was where the next practice punch was coming from.

She ambled over to the edge of the field and swiped up her water bottle before taking a long drink.
Someone nudged her shoulder.

"Hey you," the familiar voice sent a thrill though her heart.

"Hey yourself," she pushed her hip into her mate's. The warm sunshine, endorphins from exercising, and now this contact with her mate was making her giddy, but she suddenly didn't mind. As he drank from his own water bottle, Kaiden winked at her, making her stomach do a little flip flop. It was hard to forget the way he'd apologised so sweetly the other night, but the argument also kept replaying in her mind.