|46|

^ Beta Benjamin and Kira, just cos they're so cute together 😍😍

Happy Friday! I hope you enjoy this chapter 😊
Prepare to fangirl, scream, and maybe feel the urge to kill someone.. (not me, just saying 🙅‍♀️)

3207 words

"Are you sure this is the right way?"

Kaiden gave her a look, that asked do you think I'm an idiot? He didn't need to use the mind link to convey his response to her question. His wolf hopped over a large boulder and kept going.

"Well, no," Chesca remarked, giving a puzzled frown at the strange trees and bushes that surrounded them and the group of Kaiden's warriors. "It just... it doesn't look like the way I came," she reasoned through the mind link. The terrain looked terribly unfamiliar, and although she trusted Kaiden, an uneasy feeling settled in her stomach. It really felt like they were going in the wrong direction in order to reach her territory.

"This is a short cut," he stated with enough conviction to allay her fears. She'd follow him anywhere, even to the gates of Hell.

Which is practically where they were going anyway. Who knows what lay ahead at her pack that she had stupidly handed over to Elbert. All because she was in heat and desperate for her mate, she'd given up her entire pack, her family. But maybe it wasn't just the effects of her heat caused by the full moon. Because even now as the sun sat directly overhead, her feelings of love and devotion for her mate were still strong and steady.

"You mean I took a long cut in getting to your pack? That'd be right," she huffed. "But I was just tracking the way you'd been brought," her nose riffled through the dirt and leaves under her paws, sensing nothing familiar.

"Then my Dad's warriors are idiots," Kaiden concluded with a smirk.

"Yeah, I'll go with that," Chesca wagged her tail happily and scooted past Kaiden, throwing a grin over her shoulder for him.

He caught up and playfully nudged her hindquarters, before nuzzling her neck. The sweet actions of her mate displaced some of the unsettling thoughts that still lingered in her mind, and helped to ease some of the aches in her muscles. Would they survive the fight ahead to actually act like a normal couple? Would she and Kaiden get the opportunity to spend time together, maybe even mate, and live happily together? Or had they already wasted all their chances, and the upcoming battle between their packs was symbolic of all the fighting they'd both constantly been doing since meeting? They ruined the time they'd had together, and now it was time to pay up.

In another two hours, they arrived at the packs' borders, the northeastern side that was covered in forest and provided good coverage for anyone wishing to sneak up on Steelheart territory.

Chesca hated the fact she was sneaking up into her own pack. This place had been her sacred home since forever, her safe place where dreams and memories, nightmares and troubles, yet family and home had always resided. Now it was taken from her, snatched by frightening claws that threatened to squeeze her throat and destroy all life in her. It was only the presence of Kaiden, her mate, as she crossed the border that kept her steady and in control.
She could face anything as long as he was by her side.

They all shifted, and stood quietly catching their breaths and looking through the trees at Chesca's castle that sat on the hill up ahead.

"Alright, Benny and Micah, you wait here for Alpha Jackson and his warriors. Kira and Celeste, you do a scout and report back the positions of Elbert and his pack of traitors. Chesca and I will sneak into the dungeons and release anyone on our side. Am I clear?" Kaiden surveyed his warriors with a commanding gaze.