Chapter One

I woke up to a burning noise. My alarm clock. I dreaded it. All I wanted to do was finish school. It was my last day of year 11. I was ready to go to camp. Every year I went to a Summer camp all of June. I had friends there, I had an entire new life there.

I lived in a small town in Maryland, known as, Towson. It was outside of Baltimore. Camp was in Oakland. A good three hours away. I had went to the camp since I was 12. I was 16.

I dragged myself out of bed. I saw the red glowing numbers on my clock. 6:12 I rushed over to my closet. I grabbed my black cut off skinny jeans and a purple V-neck. I put it on and slid on a pair of black vans. I quietly walked into my bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror. I grabbed gel and put it in my hand. I made my hair into a spiked up-do off eof my face. I played with the blonde patch in the front of my hair. If it wasn't perfect it wasn't ready.

After playing with my hair for 15 minutes I walked into my living room. I saw a pile of binders and folders that had came from my locker. I tried to remind myself that the only thing that stood between me and Summer camp was half a day of sitting in school and a day to say goodbye to my family. That last day, I didn't care about it. I walked into my kitchen and grabbed a banana. I grabbed my car keys and went outside. I got into my old, beat-up car and started driving.

I got to school around 7:15. I parked toward the back of the school parking lot. I always parked in the same spot. I was the last spot in the student lot. I parked in that spot for a reason. That reason was, before I got my car, I drove my mother's Mazda. Some football players at my school slashed the tires. I had always had issues with them. They bullied me constantly.

I got out of my car. I was carrying a banana, my phone, and my car keys. I had 15 dollars in my pocket. I met up with a girl named Alex. She was good friends with my sister who was now homeschooled due to fighting. I had no friends at my school, other than her. She was in year 12 but she was the sweetest, most kind girl I had ever met. Not only that, but, she was the only person I had ever came out to. She swore not to tell my sister.

----

I sat through half of the day in my homeroom. I never ate the banana, I refused to eat. I was tall and skinny. I tried to stay that way. I walked out of school with Alex. I was taking her to my house so she could stay with May. It took a while to leave because she had to say her final goodbyes to her friends and to the school.

After 25 minutes she met me in my car. She got in silently and closed the door. She sat down and started texting. She texted and stayed quiet the entire ride home. I pulled into my drive way. I got out and opened Alex's door. I was being polite.

"Thank you, Jack." She said not looking up from her phone. I followed her into my house. She went down to my sister's room. I went up to the second floor and into my room. I was home with May and Alex, until 6. That's when my mom and Joe, my brother got home.

I sat on my bed, I was listening to blink-182, non-stop. I was going through my clothes. I had 20 shirts, 3 pairs of jeans, 15 pairs of socks, flip-flops, 9 pairs of shorts, my toothbrush, bathroom and hair products, and my guitar packed and ready to go. I had money from my mom in a envolope she sent there. We got money once we got there. I had my cell phone charger ready for later. I fell asleep before six. I hadn't slept for a week and I had much needed it.

-----

I woke up the next morning around 9. My mom and dad had both already left for work. I looked over at my desk. There was a bag and it was wrapped like a present. I saw a note on it:

For Camp:) -Mom, Dad, Joe, and May

I opened up the bag. I saw a blue hoodie with the camp logo on it. There was also a black flat bill. I smiled and put them in my bag. I also added my Ravens hoodie.

I walked down stairs and looked in the drive way. No one was home. I had the house to myself. I sat on the couch and ate a bowl of cereal. I watched Pawn Stars for 6 hours until I got up and went to get food. I stopped a McDonalds and got a burger and large fries. I drove myself back home and sat on the couch to eat.

An hour later May walked into the house alone. She sat beside me.

"Hi, May." I said to her.

"Hi." She said trying to eat my food.

"Where were you?" I asked her.

"With Alex." May continued, "We went to her boyfriend's house."

"Why were you there?" I asked.

"Around 12 last night Alex and I left for a wild party. And I mean wild. There was booze." She said, "I stayed with Alex all night, because she didn't want to drink."

"Did you drink?"

"No." She said, "There were police and stuff." I stayed silent. May was older than me and I always tried to protect her. She laid on the couch and passed out. I stayed there watching TV.

-----

My mom got home early. She came up to my room and sat on my bed. She wanted to talk about camp.

"Jack, you know Rian won't be at camp this year. Right?" She said to me. I nodded. "He is in a lot of trouble."

"Mom, I know." I said trying not to fall asleep.

"Don't you dare do anything like that stunt." She warned.

"I won't" I said.

"Now go to sleep. You leave early." She said getting up and leaving. I made a humming noise. I fell asleep quickly even though I was excited for camp.