Chapter Fifteen

I woke up around 6 am to Alex crying in pain.

"I'm sorry." He cried. I hugged him and held onto him. Neither one of us talked.

"Please, please, stop crying." I said trying not to hurt him. He whined for a few seconds and gradually got quieter. I kissed him and rocked him until he finnally fell asleep. I laid him down and covered him up. I got up and walked down the hall and knocked on my parents door. My mom opened the door. "I want to talk, mom." I told her.

"Come in." She said opening the door. She closed it behind me. I was never in her room. I sat on her bed. "What is it?"

"Please don't be mad." I pleaded.

"Why would I be mad?" She asked me.

"Last night I had to go to Alex's at 11:00 because his mom was hurting him and she is in jail and Alex is here because I brought him home from the ER and he has a fractured rib, the flu, and his mom beat him to the point where his entire torso is beat red. He can't stop crying and his mom is in jail so he is going to have to go back home. And I can't let him go back to Essex. I love him more than anything." I confessed. I was crying. "I'm scared." My mom put her makeup brush down and started walking toward my room. I followed her. She walked into my room and saw Alex sleeping on my bed. She stepped out of my room.

"His face is really red." My mom said.

"I am worried about him." I said falling against the wall.

"I know you are." She said kissing my cheek. "Sleep and I'll talk to you guys later, I'll make you some breakfast. I want you to take care of him."

"I will." I said, "Am I in trouble?" I asked. She shook her head.

"You may have saved his life." She said shoving me into my room before I could reply.

-----

 Alex was laying on my stomach and still asleep at 8. I kissed him waking him up.

"Are you hungry? My mom is making food." I said sitting him up and sitting up myself. He nodded.

"I don't feel sick, it just hurts." He said in a quiet raspy voice. 

"You don't look as sick." I said kissing his cheek, "Your fever is gone too." He hugged me, "Can I see it?" I asked him running my fingers through his hair. He pulled his hoodie up and showed me his upper body. I put my hand on his thigh. "What are these from?" I asked him.

"A shelf, her hand, her foot, my door, books, a wire hanger." He said with tears in his eyes.

"Please don't cry." I whispered. "Come with me." He followed me into the bathroom. I got a wet wash cloth and wiped his face off. "Do you want water on your stomach and back?" He nodded and lifted his hoodie. I rubbed the wash cloth down his back and sides until he shreiked. "Sorry." I said pushing his hoodie down.

"Thank you." He said hugging me. His head fell into my chest as he hugged me.

"Why are you thanking me?" I asked him.

"You are such an amazing guy. And you are helping me with everything. And I know your dad doesn't want you with me but, I love you, Jack." He said into my chest.

"I'll do anything for you." I said holding onto him.

"Even get me food? I'm starving." He said squished against me. I let go of him and nodded I walked him down the steps. My mom was cooking enough food for the military, yet it was just us three.

"Good Morning." She said pulling bacon out of the pan.

"Good Morning." We said in unison sitting at the counter.

"How are you feeling, Alex?" She asked me.

"Sore and upset." He said rubbing his side a little.

"We're here for you if you need it. Do you want some pain pills?" She asked him opening the little cuppoard. He nodded. I got him a glass of water and my mom gave him the pills. "Do you have any family around Maryland?"

"No, just me and my mom." He said.

"He's staying with us, mom." I said cutting her off.

"I was just wondering, Jack." She said handing us plates full of food.

"I really don't want to go home." He said moving food around his plate.

"Can he stay?" I begged my mom.

"Your dad is not going to be happy." My mom said, "But sure." Alex's and my own face lit up. "After you eat take him to get his stuff."

"Thank you so much!" I said hugging my mom.

"Just, please be good. Nothing more than kissing." My mom said.

"We won't." I laughed.

"I have to work late tonight and your dad is going to stay in his office for a little while tonight. May is staying with some friends today and tomorrow in town. Joe is with a couple guys. So you guys are by yourselves, please don't do anything." She said.

"Alex is in major pain and I'm lazy, we won't do anything." I smiled a little.

"Jack, I'm fucking serious." She said, I had never heard my mom swear, never in my life. "May told me. I'm not mad. I'm disapointed. You disobeyed me."

"Fuck." I said under my breath. "I'm really sorry, I just really, really, like him." I said slamming my head down.

"Sweetie, I know that. Just think please." She said putting her hands on my shoulders. Alex looked shocked. "And Alex, we will keep this a secret between us. You make my son happy, for once, and I like seeing him smile."

"Are you serious?" He asked a little shocked.

"Welcome to the family, Alex."