Involved

"Wait what do you mean involved....?" he looked to the mother and Caldon who appeared very sheepish to say anything. 

_______________________________________________________________________

Caldon's father sighed while looking at the human teen "Involved meaning that if you say anything or if anything happens to Caldon or us as a result of your actions or negligence, you will be held responsible" he said with a pointed stare.  His pupils sharpened and his eyes glowed slightly with the threat.

Ethan gulped rather loudly and nodded "Yes Sir! Understood" he said with a salute hoping that would drive the point across. Caldons father grumbled and turned around, heading upstairs to process some thoughts.

His mother smiled and with a clap spoke to the boys "Well now that that is settled, why don't we have something to eat? I am sure you boys are hungry " She said in a sing songy voice, hoping to break the tension in the room. The boys looked at her and nodded appreciatively. She grinned and ran into the kitchen. Caldon was hoping for something he was more accustomed to, but given the spell in the air.... she tried something new, something human. He raised a hand and set it on Ethan's shoulder giving him a look of pity. Before he could say anything, his mother called them into the kitchen. 

Ethan shot him a strange look and followed behind.  His eyes widened in realization when he saw the state of the kitchen. It looked like something exploded. He glanced up only for a chunk of something brown to land on his forehead. He gave Caldon a befuddled look and received a shrug in response.  Caldon took his seat and Ethan hesitantly sat next to him. 

Caldon's mother grinned and placed two bowls in front of the terrified boys.  She was beaming with pride at her newest creation. "This is something called stoo! Please tell me how you like it!" she said turning to the sink to wash some of the dishes. Dark purple scales could be seen running up her arms and her fingers were fully webbed. Caldon rolled his eyes at his mothers antics and turned his attention to the brown heaping pile of stoo in front of him. It took Ethan a while to turn his attention away from Caldon's mother, he was still in a bit of shock over the whole situation, and how casual they all seemed to be now.

Caldon took a spoonful of the dish and hesitantly brought it to his lips. His face immediately paled and he couldn't stop the cough. It was so salty. And this was coming from a being that lived in salt water. He sighed, his stomach rumbling as he looked at another inedible dish. Ethan's reaction was pretty similar but instead of giving up he had another idea " Uhh Mrs. Muirgen" he said hesitantly standing up "Would you mind if I added something to make your tasty stew a little more.... uh human" he said wincing at the choice of his words. Her eyes lit up "Oooooh Of Course!!!!" she said with glee. 

Ethan smiled relieved and began to go to work fixing the dish. It took a bit of flour, a lot of cornmeal and potato's, but it was finally edible. As a kid he actually spent allot of time with his grandmother in the kitchen, so cooking was something that came naturally to him.  His family never had that much money so they learned to cook with what they had, it meant they got creative.  Caldon's mother tried a bit and her eyes widened in shock "Human food tastes so good" she was flabbergasted, no wonder some of them got so large, she thought to herself.

Caldon's father snuck down the stairs to see what actually smelled good coming from this room. His wife motioned him inside and they began talking fervently in their native language. Caldon only laughed while Ethan looked incredibly confused. His father turned to the human in the room and grabbed him by the shoulders, giving him an incredibly intense look "You. MUST. teach my wife to cook human! I will reimburse you for her lessons!" Ethan looked at him in absolute fear. Caldon had to cover his mouth he was about to burst from holding in a laugh. 

His mother jabbed her husband with her elbow and yelled at him, still in the native language while pointing to Ethan. The father looked completely perplexed until the realization crossed his face. He let out a loud hardy laugh  "Oh, my boy, I believe I meant human FOOD" he said laughing again "Humans do not taste nearly as good as they think" he said still laughing. Ethan let out a nervous chuckle and sat back down with a bowl of stew "O-of course I can, that's no problem" he said taking a bite and scratching his head.

Caldon, at this point was too busy stuffing his face to notice anything else. After dinner Ethan left his number for the family and said his goodbyes. It was getting pretty late and he didn't want his mother to get worried.  He went home to process everything that had just happened, also the prospect of earning some more money for his family, today had been very momentous and he was still sore from everything that happened.

 Caldon went up to his room to sleep off all of the food that he had just eaten. Tomorrow was Saturday so he would be able to sleep in, for the first time in his human form. 

The next day he comfortably awoke to the sun beaming in his face. It was a nice change from the rough sound of the cursed bell.  He got up and put on a pair of old sweat pants he found and made his way downstairs.  His father was at the kitchen table finishing off the last of the stew and reading the newspaper. He had been enthralled with these things. He looked around and was confused to not see his mother  "Hey.... where is Mom" he asked curiously glancing out to the living room. His father sighed "She felt distress call of one of our kind in the area ealy this morn and went to check it out... you know how she gets" Caldon nodded.

His mother was their clans healer, she had the ability to sense the fear and distress of our kind and to ease their pain. She couldn't ignore a distress call, it weighed too heavily on her heart. Caldon always wondered how she and her father got along. He was a strong warrior and could be very brash, while she was meek and curious. The chemistry of his parents would never make sense to him. He sat down at the table with his father and snagged an apple. He never really was a morning eater. He took this time to think about himself. Living away from the clan.... would he ever discover his talent. He pondered it 'well....... I am no where near as built as dad..... and I don't hear the calls that mom hears.... so what could it be....' he thought to himself. 

His thoughts were interrupted by the front door slamming open and a loud thud resounding throughout the house.  Caldons father stood up immediately and took up a defensive position. His nails elongated into long sharp talons and his pupils sharpened. Caldon took a step back allowing his father to investigate.

  "ÁSTIN" his fathered screamed out. He ran to the entry way only to see his mother collapsed in the door way covered in blood.

________________________________________________________

  ÁSTIN- My love 

Fun Fact! Did you know you could burn stew? because I sure as hell didn't.  I learned after the fact that you are not supposed to stir it if that happens. Fish fact,  walking catfish exist.

I also updated my other book. Please give it a read and tell me what you think! Thank you for putting up with my slow updates!

*unedited