Tepid Water

"ÁSTIN" his fathered screamed out. He ran to the entry way only to see his mother collapsed in the door way covered in blood.

________________________________________________________________________________

A chill ran through Caldon's body at the sound of his fathers yell. He had never heard such pain in desperation in anyone's voice. His father was kneeling at the floor holding his mother tightly in his arms. She was still breathing, but it was labored.She looked so fragile. Her body was still mid-shift, as if she hadn't had time to complete the transformation before she got out of the water. That meant the danger was still close.

"Fá Elixir soninn!"

Caldon was shocked out of his thoughts by his fathers yell. He ran into the kitchen and searched the cabinets until he found her first aid kit. She was always prepared. There was a particular satchel he had to grab, it was made from sheepskin and held an elixir that was only to be used for emergency's. He found it in the very back and quickly ran back to the entry way, almost slipping in the process.

"Give it here!" his father said grabbing the satchel out of his sons hands. He cut a slit into the side allowing a glowing green liquid to flow out and passed his wife's lips. They waited minutes in silence until her body visibly relaxed, her breathing now even.

His father stood up with his wife in his arms.

"Whatever did this to her is still in the area.....we are in no position to defend ourselves. You need to gather your things....call Ethan.... and stay with him. You are too young to be tracked.... I am taking your mother inland now."

He said sternly, his eyes still narrowed, his gills flared in a protective stance. His mate almost died on the door step and there was nothing he could do at the moment. This was a position no warrior ever wanted to be in, but his family came before his pride. Caldon had never seen his mother look so small than the way she did in his fathers arms. His father opened the door and quickly made his way into the old car, his wife carefully laid in the back seat. He took off, heading as far away from the ocean as he could to protect his loved ones.

Caldon stood in the doorway, watching the figure of the car disappear into the night. The night was no where near cold but he felt a hollow cold ache in his chest. In  a single instant he was alone. It took the sudden shriek of a gull to shake him from his spot. He slowly made his way inside and to the phone. He easily memorized Ethan's number and dialed it

...

"Hello?"

It took him a moment to reply to Ethan's voice.

"Hello? Is someone there?"

"Hi... Ethan.... " his voice was shaking, was he shaking?

"Caldon.. dude are you okay"

"There's been an incident.... I can't stay at my house right now.... can I stay with you" he said softly, you could hear his voice tremble.

"Umm yeah dude... of course..... let me just get my mothers car"

__________________________________________________

Ethan arrived about 7 minutes later and quickly knocked on the door. Caldon was just sitting on the stairs a small bag packed by his side. He was just staring blankly ahead until the knock sounded. The lights in the house were now all off, Caldon was just sitting in the dark. 

"He buddy... are you ready to go?" Ethan asked softly.

Caldon only nodded and plodded his way to the beat up station wagon. He didn't even jump at the sounds of the explosions the metal contraption made as Ethan turned it on. Ethan kept quiet in the car, the air was tense and he figured Caldon would talk when he needed too.

The drive was relatively short. Ethan pulled into a gravel driveway to a house that had definitely seen better days. It looked a lot like Caldons place only that it was one story instead of two. THe houses on the other side looked similar in age but were in much better shape. 

Ethan led Caldon inside and signaled that he should be quiet. Inside his mother was laying across the couch, only illuminated by the light of the TV, there were a few bottles littered around her area, but the rest of the house  was pretty clean. 

They walked to the back of the house which ended with a door littered with different posters. The room was surprisingly clean, the walls looked much like the door, covered with posters, but other than that, everything had a place and seemed to be in it.

Ethan started to pull something out from under his bed "Good thing I never got rid of this cot" he said with a half hearted chuckle. He quickly made it up for Caldon and sat him down.  "Are you okay?" he asked placing his hand on his shoulder. 

Caldon shook his head "This is just a lot...and now with my parents inland.....I just don't know what to do"

Ethan smiled encouragingly "Sometimes you don't have to do anything, just let things happen.... You can't have control over everything that occurs in your life... Try to get some sleep, we can talk more in the morning" he said tossing the sad mer a pillow.

Caldon nodded and settled into the small cot. It took a bit for him to fall asleep and once he finally did, his dreams were haunted with the bloodied image of his mother and a beast with red eyes.

________________________________________________-

Sorry for the slow updates, Grad school sucks.....  but I am doing a show where I have two hours a night to write, so expect an update tomorrow as well :)