Chapter 29 - Plan B

Chapter 29 - Plan B

*sorry if there's some typos. I haven't edited yet!*

Somewhere between the deep breaths, tosses and turns, I drifted off to sleep.  I hadn't even known I had fallen asleep until I jolted awake with my heart thumping, almost jumping to my feet immediately.  Brushing my hair from my face, I practically ran to Savanna's room and pushed the door open so hard it hit the opposite wall with a thud.  The bed was still made.  She still wasn't home.

Biting my bottom lip, I ran to the hotel phone and called to the front desk.  A lady named Jennifer answered, her voice much too cheery for the morning. "I don't even know if you can do this, but would you be able to give me a guests phone number?" I said in a jumble, not even realizing I needed to give some sort of reason until I was met with silence on the other side of the phone. "I'm sorry," I gasped, running a hand through my tangled hair. "I need the phone number of Savanna Miller.  She's my guardian and she never came home last night."

"If she's your guardian, why don't you have her cellphone number?" Jennifer asked, sounding doubtful. I felt a blush spread over my cheeks as I ducked my head, even though she couldn't see me.

"She took away my phone and I don't have it memorized. Please, if there's any way -" just as I was about to beg, the elevator dinged. I pivoted to see Savanna marching into the room, looking exhausted. I had never seen her with a hair out of place, let alone with no makeup and dark bags under her eyes. She looked fragile, almost broken. "Never mind, she just got here. Thank you." I said before hanging up the phone and turning to face her. I felt like cowering in the corner, but I had to face the music.

"I had to come get Arielle up for her shoot," she said simply, setting her purse on the couch. She wouldn't even look at me.

"I'm sorry," I muttered, wrapping my arms around my body in an attempt to cover myself. It didn't help much.

"Please, Shiloh," Savanna sighed, running a hand over her face. "I just spent the whole night arguing with my son, I can't argue with you, too."

"I don't want to argue," I told her, eyes widening. "Please, I didn't mean for any of this to happen." The flair of anger in her eyes made me back track. What was I suppose to say? "I mean, I just-" I sighed, "I'm old enough to take responsibility for my actions. I knew we shouldn't, but I let it happen anyway. I'm so sorry that I put your family in a position where y'all could get in trouble, I didn't think about the consequences, I was just selfish and let myself have what I wanted. But you have to believe I really do care about Ben, otherwise I never would have let it get to this point. You know me by now, you know I don't take these kinds of relationships lightly...If there's one thing loosing my Grams taught me is that this life is short, and you never know when you're going to have to say goodbye forever. Let yourself love the people in your life deeply, without fear of consequence or heartbreak, because you never know when it might end. I don't want to live my life with any regrets, and even though I am sorry it could ruin everything, I don't regret it."

I didn't realize how much I was shaking until I rubbed my sweaty palms on my thighs. My heart was beating so furiously I could feel it in the back of my throat. Almost as if defeated, Savanna's shoulders slumped as she collapsed on the couch. She looked at me with tired eyes, frowning. "At least tell me y'all used a condom."

I froze. For a moment, the truth almost came tumbling from my lips along with a string of curses. We had not, in fact, used protection. It hadn't even crossed my mind until she asked. We had been so caught up in the moment that stopping to grab a condom hadn't even been a thought. I wasn't on birth control. Sex had been the farthest thing from my mind so I hadn't thought it was crucial to start taking the pill. In that moment, I wished I had. I wanted to tell Savanna that we hadn't been safe and to help me figure out what to do, but I knew she would only be more upset with me that she already was. It was my first time...I didn't know the exact statistics, but it wasn't that likely to get pregnant having unprotected sex once, right? At least that's what I told myself. So instead I nodded, forcing a weak smile as I tried to ignore my churning stomach.