Arianna

A/N: A permanent secondary/main character and i absolutely love her =) Btw, as you all know, this is rated PG13, in future chapters, it might get steamy and more sexual. I hope you are prepared for it. And this chapter is officially where the fun starts. The chapters before are like the honeymoon phase. Cheers =D

“Arie!” Hazel threw her arms around her cousin and squeezed her into an embrace that might have choked the life out of a weaker person. “I felt like I haven’t seen you in ages,” she exclaimed excitedly but Arianna thought her voice sounded a little lifeless.

She was sent to stay with Hazel’s family while her parents fought over the divorce. She would transfer to Garland High as well until her custody was granted to either one of her parents. She had seen no need of it since she was already eighteen but who was she to argue with the system?

Aunt Jane had also seemed relieved to have her. On the journey to the house, her aunt had expressed Hazel’s gradually serious condition. Something about a Haydn and how after he left, Hazel become more subdued. Her usual vibrant spirit barely visible any longer. And her condition just gets worse as time passed. She had fatigue and looked sickly despite being the doctor’s confirmation that she was as healthy as a horse.

 “Hazel, show Arie to your room. And girls, don’t stay up too late,” Mrs Lorely chided gently, glad to see her daughter liven up a little. Even Rory had expressed her worries about her sister to her. And everyone knew Rory didn’t care much about anything unless it was serious.

“Yes, Mom.”

Arianna followed Hazel to their room as they gossiped about air-headed issues. And they later prepared for bed.

“I am so glad you’re here for me. I don’t think I can take it without your company,” Arianna said casually as she fluffed her pillows and lie on it. Hazel rolled on her side to look at her.

The same could be said for Hazel. She needed Arie more than she could say. Arie always made her feel better with her wise advices and calm attitude. They were direct opposites – Arie with her gentleness and patience; Hazel with her fiery nature which was currently open to debate -  and yet clicked with each other like no one else.

Ever since Haydn had returned her home, she never saw him again. The reason in school was that he had gone back to New York but Hazel knew better. She felt strange, bereft, empty, like something was missing in her life.

And she was often numb nowadays, speaking only when spoken to, frequently overwhelmed with the need to sleep. Occasionally when the urge became too strong, she would search up mythologies on the web. Reading about his world, subconsciously wanting a connection to him even if it was only through stories and articles.

 Besides,  despite with constant drowsiness, sleep was never peaceful for her. They had been fitful and the lack of sleep was getting to her. It wasn’t strange for her to wake up in parts of her house. Each time further and further from her bed. She who had never suffered from sleepwalking was now a regular victim of it.  And the dreams she had been having… It was disturbing to say the least. It wasn’t scary or gruesome, just disconcerting. Always leaving her a sense of lost and confusion when she finally broke free from the tendrils of slumber.

“Hazel, are you alright?” Arianna studied her with keen eyes. “You’re different from last I saw you and your mother had mentioned a boy. She’s worried sick you know,”

She sighed. She had needed someone to confide to for a long time. But now that her confidant was here, she didn’t know how to begin without sounding like a deranged idiot. “You wouldn’t believe me,”

“Try me,” Arianna said quietly, eying her with a perceptiveness that made her feel exposed.

Hazel stared at her cousin for a long time. Arianna was as pretty as a petite angel, being barely five foot and an inch. The perfect stereotype with golden blonde hair and bright blue eyes. But she was quiet and kept a lot to herself which did not warrant her many friends. Girls positively shunned her out of jealousy. And although guys were dazzle by her beauty, often falling over their feet to ask her out, she never shown any interest in them. Rejecting their invitations with soft politeness.