tHE wOLF aND tHE aNIMAGUS

Harry was nowhere. There would be only darkness if not for the creatures. Creatures of all kinds rushing past him before he could get a good look at them.

Glimpses of birds swooped overhead. The odd fish or two swam through seeming nothing. Land mammals brushed past his legs. Every one a different shape and size. All an almost translucent glowing silver.

One similar to a mouse slipped through the air on graceful dragonfly wings. Another, the size of a small house, tipped toed by a dog with three heads.

Through the haze of almost see-through creatures, one stood out. It was dog like with large ears that swiveled for its own amusement.

Large eyes stared into his own. Harry reached out and -

"-arry, Harry wake up," a voice echoed throughout the nothingness causing the animals to run out of view as if noticing his presence for the first time.

The canine never moved from its spot. It sat there staring at him, his hand frozen less than a foot away from it. Even as the world faded from view.

Opening his eyes, Harry was greeted with a familiar room. They had recently saved up money and bought a cabin about five months ago.

They had come a long way from who they were a year and a half ago when they first met. They both look and are healthier. Remus

"Harry," the familiar voice of Remus, his adoptive father, called as he shook him awake.

"It's been a month," Remus said his voice full of pride. It took a second for Harry to realize what he was talking about.

When he did his eyes lit up. Jumping out of his bed, Harry ran into the bathroom and spit out the mandrake leaf.

"You don't even know how nasty those are," the boy complained as he made a face. Remus just laughed.

"What's next!" Harry excitedly asked as he remembered why he had the leaf under his tongue for a month.

"How about breakfast?"

"Sure," Harry grumbled as he took his seat at the small kitchen table, Remus put a plate of waffles on the table. Waffles, the only thing he could make without giving someone food poisoning.

As the two ate, Harry, talking about how great it was to talk again. The leaf made it hard (and embarrassing) to talk so he decided to not talk until his month was up.

Remus was nodding along with every so often. He was thinking about how helpful Harry being an animagus would be.

He wouldn't have to worry about full moons (Mooney took offense to that he would NEVER hurt his pup.) And if any danger arose Harry could make a quick getaway. Not to mention all the perks he would get from whatever animal it turned out to be.

"Harry," Remus said as he took both their plates to the sink to rinse.

"Hmm?" was the reply as he sat down on the couch and watch the weather.

"Happy eighth birthday," Remus said as he sat next to his adoptive son.

Without a word, Harry threw his arms around his adoptive father in a tight hug. The last year with Remus had been the best. A wide grin spread across his face as he acioed three boxes to them.

With the fanfare aside, Remus handed Harry his first gift. A large bag with colorful tissue paper hiding its contents. Ripping the paper away Harry found a watercolor set as well as color pencils and an art book to go with.

His second gift was a leather satchel. Its soft browns mixed well with the bronze accents. Carved into the buckle was a wolf as well as a blank spot.