Chapter 5

The little girl walked slowly across the hotel grounds, not in the least bit bothered by the rain pounding our backs and drenching our hair and clothes. Her hair was blonde, appearing far darker in the rain, and it was not until we passed the entrance to the pool that I noticed the extent of her pale features. She was porcelain, deathly pale like an aged doll. Her smile as we entered was stiff as if it would crack at any second. A voice of reason told me she was ecstatic to be reunited with her mother but my gut told me it was something more.

The windows in the pool room were dark, stained with splatters of inky rain from the chaos that grew outside. From the doorway, I could see that it was empty and had been for some time as mould grew on the brick wall opposing the pool.

"She's not here," I said to the girl. "We should go."
"Not yet," she replied.
"No, we're leaving. She's not here. Let's go to the reception and—"

Ice squeezed my hand and the girl had vanished. Breath hitched in my throat as the main lights switched off, surrounding me in blue light from the still water at the other end of the room.

The door banged shut behind me and I darted for the handle. It rattled as I yanked on the metal but refused to budge. I cursed again and again until I heard a splash.

The water was still, calm and unmoving – not a single wave or ripple like a solitary lagoon. Yet, something glittered beneath the water; a forbidden treasure that reeled me in.

Why was I so afraid I tried to leave? There was nothing frightening about the water. It glimmered in turquoise, dancing along the walls, the floor, the ceiling... in my head. I wanted more. To see more colour – more shining light. I could not move back. Only forward. I reached out, towards the shining light; towards the deep end.

I leaned over the edge, narrowing my eyes at the glowing iridescence that drifted across the room in a wave. It stretched the closer I got and morphed into something new, something dark, skeletal, and it – no, she – smiled as she outstretched her hand, stopping before she rose above the water as if she could not break free.

She was calling out to me. Asking me to help her.

I crouched down and reached for the surface, blinking as a cool breeze lifted from the water. I was close to her now, so close...

"ERIKA!"

The doors behind me burst open as Alex called my name, Alfie behind him. I jolted awake the moment my wrist was snatched.

I gasped and pulled away from the vicious and ugly creature. It hissed as I fought. As I freed myself, I backed away to stand but it tugged on my ankle, knocking me back down and dragging me into the water.

I fumbled around for something to grab onto, crying out in panic, but everything was slippery and wet. I was near helpless until I grabbed the pool's edge, legs submerged to slow my kicks against the creature. I could maintain my position there but could not put up a fight.

Alfie dropped to his knees, gripping onto my arms tightly. "Come... on!"

It was no use. The creature showed strength of an angry supernatural, one locked in emotional, frantic desperation.

Alex lashed out at the creature, who screeched on impact. Its grip loosened just enough for Alfie to pull me out of its grasp.

I rolled onto my back and scurried away from the water, eyes glued to the splashing waves.  Struggling for air and soaked from the torso down, I shivered.

Alfie knelt down beside me, panic stricken. "Are you alright? Are you hurt? What happened? Why did you—?"
"I can only answer one question at a time, Alf."
"Right." He nodded quickly. "Sorry, you're right. Alex!"