Chapter 21

The hunters volunteering for the mission congregated in the war room at daybreak. Wyatt Martin stood at the head of the table, his son not far from him, mimicking his stance by locking his hands behind his back. He shot me a wink as Alex, Nathaniel, and I walked in, the morning light turning the curls atop his head a light bronze.

Twenty hunters turned up to the meeting; twelve being the hunters' family members, one Wyatt Martin himself and the rest volunteers and friends of the hunters at risk.

"Do you think we're getting an inspirational speech?" Alex muttered.
"Shush," I hissed.
"I'll do one if he doesn't."
"Just because you like hearing the sound of your own voice."

He snickered and I smiled. A good night's sleep seemed to have cheered Alex up and I was glad of it. No-one knew what awaited us in Bekker's forest -- we needed to smile at least once more, and I enjoyed seeing his.

"What are we waiting for?" Vanessa asked impatiently. "Our families may not have a lot of time."
"I know," said Wyatt. "I wanted to speak to you all one last time before we go."

I looked to Pete for clarification, who shrugged. Wyatt scanned the room, looking in the eyes of every soldier in his makeshift army, seeing their hopes, their anticipation, their fears and their bloodlust. We were all individual hunters but each of us was tied together in a connected legacy left by our parents, partners or siblings. It wasn't the one that I imagined dad leaving, but it was the one I had to deal with, as all of us in the room were now burdened with.

"I want to start by saying thanks to each and every one of you," he declared. "No child should be responsible for fixing their parents mistakes, but I must ask that of you all." He looked towards his son, apologetic. "And for that I'm sorry."

Pete smiled reassuringly and he went on, "The witches think of you all as nothing more than children. You're untrained, inexperienced. Weak and naive. Through being here in itself, you have proved to me you're so much more. Through being here, you have shown me that you are brave, strong and have a fierce energy to protect not only your family but every human family that doesn't yet know the danger they're in. Bring that energy to the witches and show them what you are. Show them you are much more than children."

The hunters cheered as Wyatt carried on. "We are the wardens in the shadows."
"The light in the dark," Alex joined in.
"The shield at humanity's back." Pete and I caught each other's eyes at the unison.
The room chorused. "We are the Order of Hunters. And we will endure."

Pete looked around with a proud smile on his face. "Aw. Aren't we sweet?"

***

The twins kept their same stance as last night and agreed to stay behind at the Watch while the rest of us went to Bekker's Forest. Other's stayed behind too; hunters uninvolved in the ritual or family members too old or young to participate. They agreed to contact Diana if we didn't return within two days but I promised to update their mother before I arrived at the ritual site. By the time they called for Diana, the witches would have succeeded and other measures had to be taken to stop the Witch-Queen.

"I wish we could go with you," Florence said in the hallway. A backpack was slung over my shoulder filled with necessities for the next day or two so the journey could be nonstop to Bekker's Forest. I was travelling with Alex and Nathaniel, agreeing to alternate driving with Alex to make better time.

"The car's going to be quiet without you but you know why you have to stay." They were a distraction for me and the dangers of the ritual were unknown. If it came down to protecting them and stopping the ritual, my instincts would prevent me from doing my job.
Flo's mouth opened. "But--!"
"Leave it, Florence," Alfie interrupted. "Its for the best."