Chapter 3

While the twins were waking, Diana and I packed the car. To my shock, the two of them left their bags by the door, ready to leave as fast as possible.
"I told you they're eager," Diana said as she picked one of them up. "
I let out a sigh. "We'll see how this goes."

          It had only just passed eight and the sun hadn't yet broken through the horizon, hiding behind the old-bricked houses of the neighbourhood. Frost gathered on the blades of grass poking out from the frozen dirt that crunched beneath my feet. Winter would be arriving soon and I hoped, if I managed to find him, dad would allow us to take break over the coming weeks. Hunting was difficult in the Winter months, but more jobs managed to come through after Christmas. It was foolish to think dad would let me stay at home.

          Diana handed me Alfie's bag to shove in the back. "Do you have enough weapons?"

          I opened up the compartment at the floor of the car boot, revealing the stash dad instructed me to keep. Since his car broke down months ago, my car had become the primary vehicle for our hunting trips. My only rule was that I was the one to drive it; I wouldn't sit in the passenger seat of my own car.

          Diana smiled. "Such a Lupine. And your crossbow?"
I tapped my pocket. "Always close."
She gazed at it longingly as though she could see through the leather. "God, I love that thing."
"You could get your own as well," I suggested.
"Oh. No, I can't."
"Where did you get it from the first time? Surely you could get another."
She shook her head. "My hunting days are over, I imagine," she said with a sigh.

          I gave a sympathetic squeeze of her shoulder as I headed inside to grab the last of the bags. She never wanted to give up hunting but her children came first. After Uncle Freddie's death, she was left with no choice but to retire at just 33. She would go back to hunting in a heartbeat if she could, but told none other than me that fact to escape the guilt from Ollie and the twins. I wondered if she would go back to it when Ollie was old enough to take care of himself, or if the lack of training had rusted her skills and made her reluctant.

          We joined the others for an abnormally large breakfast – even for Diana – made up of crispy bacon, runny eggs, juicy sausages, tomatoes, beans and toast. I filled myself to the brim, almost hitting the point of sickness, then chugged a mug of coffee, brushed my teeth and ushered the twins outside. Poor Alfie had barely made it out the door when Florence shoved him in the shrubs, calling her claim on the front seat.

          Ollie had followed us outside with a look even more solemn than what he usually held when I left for work. A lot of teenagers would grow used to their family leaving so much, but not Ollie. At least it showed he still cared, even if it made it harder for him.

          "Will you be gone long?" He asked when the twins were out of earshot.
I shared an unsure glance with Diana, who shrugged with a silent apology. "I'm not certain, if I'm honest. But I promise: when I come back, I'll be home for a while."
"You always say that."

          His glare fell do the grass, watching the morning dew drip from the wilting blades.
"Hey." I tapped his chin with a forced smile. "I'll miss you."
"You always say that as well."
"And I mean it. When I get back, we'll go somewhere nice. I promise. Wherever you want."
"I don't care what we do. I just want you home."
Dad would be furious, but I replied, "Two weeks. I can promise two weeks at home."
He smiled. "Really?"
I mirrored his smile. "Really." Dad wouldn't be pleased for not being consulted first, but he could hunt on his own if he was so desperate. I hated the thought of him hunting alone, but he could pick more straightforward jobs if he wished.
"Thank you," Ollie replied. "Then I guess I'll see you soon. Hopefully."
"Hopefully."