Chapter 20

The rooms in Oblivion's Watch, like the rest of the fortress, resembled decor I imagined was similar to the original interior of the monarchs that once owned and cared for the building. Every room was slightly different, I had realised over the years, but a common theme among them was the four-poster bed covered in drapes and blankets, a matching rug, a wardrobe, desk and an en-suite. The colours varied ever so slightly, but remained dark and cosy.

Once showered and ready for bed, I collapsed into the deep blue sheets and sighed. Being back at the Watch was the familiarity I needed before our upcoming hunt. Eating a meal in a safe space, seeing Pete again and even just climbing into bed knowing most of my family and I were secure within the walls gave a relaxing sense of comfort I only imagined I would get at Diana's.

A knock at the door made me jolt. I groaned and dragged myself from soft sheets, then opened the door.

I looked the figure up and down, lips parting as I resisted a gasp.
"Pete? I didn't think you'd come."
"I told you I would." He nodded at the room, a glint in his eye. "May I come in?"
I was dressed in pyjamas and just about ready to go to sleep, but I stepped aside. "Yeah, of course."

He backed into the centre of the room, taking it all in. His gaze cast over the clothes I wore but it did not phase him. "It's good to see you. Though, I didn't think we'd meet again like this."
I shrugged. "I don't know. We've met here a few times. If you can remember them, that is."
"Not what I meant. But I think you'll find your hangovers were worse than mine, Lupine."
"Hangovers, yes. But you could black out and still wake up fresh as a daisy." I crossed my arms. "As you so often did."
He smirked as he dipped his head in a sloppy bow. "Its the only trait I inherited from my magical ancestors, unfortunately."
I frowned. "Unfortunately?"
He shrugged. "Despite the circumstances, I think it'd be cool to have some magic in you. I get that its dangerous and all but there's beauty in the species somewhere."
I huffed a laugh. "Don't spread that idea around the traditionalists."
"Don't worry, I got my punishment for that a few months' back."

Pete's ancestors were witches. By pure chance, his father was born with no magic in his blood whatsoever and he was pushed from his parents' coven. That history gave Pete some empathy with the species and he had often wondered out loud what his life would have been like if he had some magic in him. I told him it was silly to think like that but it only gave him more ideas about the integration of our species. One night when we were simply sat talking, it turned into a hour-long rant about the council and their old attitudes. I agreed mostly, but wasn't inclined to do anything as Pete was, though I often thought about the progress he had made once our paths diverged.

I wandered over to the bed and sat cross-legged. "Have the council considered your proposal yet?"
He grumbled and leaned against the wall. "No, nothing. The crones have sticks up their arses. They won't back off from tradition."

I sighed. All he wanted was for the council members to introduce an ambassador for the vampires, witches and werewolves. They would be 'well-educated on the diversity of our histories and to strive for peace' as he had theorised countless times. The leaders: Paris, Kyran and Evangeline were too old, too traditional to look towards the future Pete dreamed of. Some traditions needed to stay but even I knew we needed an ambassador. I didn't trust them one bit, but we needed that contact with the species we signed a peace treaty with. Even if it was just to protect ourselves and humanity.

"Things do need shaking up," I admitted. "They won't back down at all?"
"The less interference, the better." Pete quoted with an eye roll. "I told them they were idiots and was shoved in the cells for a night to cool off."
I hissed. "Bit harsh. What did your dad say?"
"He called me an idiot and said my record with the cells was starting to get embarrassing."
I shrugged. "Everyone's been in at least once, haven't they?"
"Four separate occasions is a cause for concern, according to dad. The Head Sentinel wanted me in longer for 'disturbing the peace of the Watch' but Trainer Lucian put a good word in. He grumbled about it, but it was a glowing reference."
I tutted. "I always knew you were the favourite."
"All that hard work can't beat my charm, Lupine."
"I know. And its annoying."
"You love it really." He half smiled.
I shook my head. "I hate you sometimes, you know that?"
"And I love you too."
"Don't." I shook my head, feeling the dread that came with those words. He played off as a joke, but I knew different. "Don't say that."
"Why not? There's only us here. Nothing you need to worry about."
I sighed. "Pete, we can't say those things because there's nothing we can do about them."
"But there is, Erika."

He rushed towards me, making me flinch. Not because I was afraid of him, but of what I would possibly do if he pushed this. I'd learned just how easy it was for us to fall back into old habits. "When I learned about the ritual, I freaked. I wanted to find you before coming to the Watch but dad wouldn't allow it. It wasn't until I got here that I thought: why are we listening to our dads so much?"
"Pete—"
"We're adults. We can make our own decisions. Screw the lot of them."
"You're being unreasonable. We're hunters. We need to put our work before ourselves and our elders know better."
"I thought that too. But when I found out the ritual involved sacrificing our bloodlines, all I could think about was getting you to safety. I couldn't help thinking of putting you first."

He meant a lot to me; more than I thought someone outside of my family could have. I enjoyed our time together and missed him while apart but the thought of giving up the work I had put into making a name for the Lupine's again made me anxious. Ollie wasn't hunting, the twins needed training and Diana was retired. I didn't have the time to hunt, train the others and protect my family if I was focussed on Pete. Our legacy needed saving and I was the lifeline we needed.

I shook my head. "My family's been falling apart for years. I'm their best chance at reviving everything we lost. I can't do that if I'm thinking of something else. Or someone else. I'm sorry."
He nodded. "I understand." He tapped my chin. "Just think about it, yeah?"
"For now, I just want my best friend back."
A pause made my heart freeze over. Then he smiled. "And that's what you'll get. I've missed you."
"I've missed you too."

He pulled me into a tight hug, stroking the back of my hair, melting the ice and making me shiver. "I'll see you tomorrow."
"See you tomorrow," I mumbled into his shoulder.

With another smile, he let go and left the room with slumped shoulders and a bowed head.

I cared for him. I really, truly did but, duty came first. And, as I climbed back into bed, I let out a lengthy sigh at the realisation that the lectures drilled into me by dad and Wyatt had actually taken toll.