Chapter 26

The weeks dragged on until Christmas eventually arrived, and the Lupine household began to thrive as it so often did at this time of year. I kept my promise and chose to remain home with my family. At first, I thought about returning to the Watch as a final honour to Pete, but I couldn't face enjoying myself there without him. As I sat up late watching a film on Christmas Eve with Ollie, dad, Diana and the twins, I realised this was what he would have wanted: to live outside the Order for a while with people I loved. Even if it was just temporary.

Although eighteen years old, conditioning from Diana had the twins bouncing up at the crack of dawn. Alfie knocked on my door politely, calling through the door to remind me that it was Christmas day and waking up after 8AM was sinful. Having no shame whatsoever, his sister burst through the door and launched herself on my torso with a strength that almost made me throw up. With me awake, she skipped downstairs. A tired Ollie staggered across the landing and waited for me to follow.

It was needless to say that dad, who had no option other than to sleep on the sofa Christmas Eve, was not impressed at the noise. He was an early bird, yes, but sleep was preferred while on holiday, and waking early for something such as Christmas was a waste of energy.

Diana and I couldn't help but laugh.

With the kids playing on their games' console and dad staring at it, perplexed, I helped Diana out in the kitchen, chopping the vegetables she peeled and prepped last night.

"You've outdone yourself again, Diana." I grunted when I forced the blunt knife into the tenth potato. "How much food do we actually have?"
"It's Christmas!" she exclaimed, standing up after checking her gingerbread in the oven. "If there's a time for going all out, its now."

She always did this. Every year since Freddie died, she kept that silent promise to herself to make Christmas extra special for the twins so they did not think about their absent father too much.

"It must have cost a fair bit." Especially with the presents Ollie, the twins, and even myself and dad were given. "Are you sure you don't want any—"
"Nonsense!" She pointed an oven-mitted finger. "You may have just got a promotion, young lady, but you haven't taken a single job since."
"Much to dad's disgust. I told him it was Christmas and he said—"
"Generals don't get Christmas?" She snickered at my eye roll. "Your father means well, but he's no fun, really."
"I made a promise to Ollie. Promotion or not, I planned on keeping my word this time."
She opened the oven, releasing the warmth and spice of ginger into the kitchen. "And it means a lot to him. He's happy you're here."

I smiled and turned back to chopping vegetables for dinner.

"Don't worry about money." Diana slammed the baking tray on top of the stove. "Because those bonuses the witches gave us?" She whistled. "Lifesavers. Bills are paid for half of next year and Christmas is a big one. We need it."
"We certainly do."

A knock at the door almost made me slice my finger off.

"Are we expecting anyone?"
Diana shrugged. "Go check."

I opened the door and a smile instantly crossed my face.
"It's Christmas time and I smell nice cooking!" Alex exclaimed. He jumped through the door and picked me up in a hug so tight I wheezed out a laugh.
"Merry Christmas, Erika," said Tommy with a smile. Dad left his spot on the sofa to come to the door, eyes widening at the shocking image of guests in the Lupine household. "I hope you don't mind, Chris. Apparently Erika insisted Alex came to visit."
My jaw dropped. "Alex, you invited yourself!"
"I did not!"
"Actually, I invited them," said Diana, strutting up behind us. She brushed a strand of hair off my shoulder. "I thought Erika could do with a friend this Christmas."
"Thank you, Diana, for making me out to be a loner."
"You are a loner, dear."
"Thank you again."
Alex snorted.