Chapter 25

Fog surrounded us, and I lost sight of my family. In the mass of white, I clutched only my crossbow, keeping my eyes peeled for demons, witches, or any faces I recognised.

A scream made me whir. Then a crackling roar like wildfire. I ducked in the dirt as a flaming ball flew overhead, the light igniting the faces of two witches, one a Coven Lord, and a wolf-shaped demon shrouded in shadow.

It dove for the Lord, mouth open, fangs baring, then yelped as I shot an arrow into its chest, landing behind him.

The Lord spun around, thick brows lowered in a frown on his sharp, sculpted face. I met his forest-green eyes as I forced myself to my feet and gave him a tired salute. Blood already streaked strands of his shoulder-length chestnut hair, and nodded, one side of his mouth curving upwards.

He turned back to the battle and raised his hand at an opposing witch. She crumbled before him, eyes turning black as she screamed at the agony of a magic I had never seen before.

Witches, I realised, were frightening creatures. Still, I called out, "You're welcome."

His head snapped back around but I had already darted further into the fog -- where the pained crying and the mist was its heaviest.

Running, I collided directly into a firm body and hit the floor with a pair of grunts.

"Erika!" Pete reached for my arms to help me stand. "You're okay."
"Still alive, I see." I grinned at the sight of him; blood-crusted and bruised, but alive.
He let out a little laugh. "Yeah. But if we don't make it out of this--"
"We will."
"But--"
"Pete, this isn't the time for--"
"There never will be a time for this. But--"
"MOVE!"

I shoved him to the side as a shadowed wildcat pounced for the gap between us. It skidded over the dirt, and hissed with bared fangs.

Pete clutched his sword as I twirled an arrow between my fingers.
"Cover me."

I did as commanded and loaded my crossbow as Pete sprinted for the cat. It spat and bounded our way, yapping and spitting.

It leapt — Pete ducked. Lightly, it landed behind him and made a beeline for me as I clicked an arrow into place.

The bolt flew, as did the cat. I sidestepped out the way when the tip of the arrow scraped the cat's clawing paw. It let out a yelp, and scrambled towards me.

I fell for the trick. The clever cat feigned it's movement and changed course at the final moment, flying and latching onto my arm with knife-like claws that pierced the skin of my upper arm.

Saliva dribbled from its bloody maw, landing on my jaw as I angled away. It growled then yapped when I thrusted a handheld arrow into the centre of its rib cage, bleeding onto my knuckles.

But it wasn't enough. To anger it, maybe, but to kill it—

It's jaw opened wide, ready to close in on my frightened face.

I let out a whimper when a blade drove through the neck and out the opening of its mouth.

Clenching my eyes and mouth shut, I turned away from the ink-black blood of the demon, and grunted as the full weight of its body slumped against my chest.

Pete chuckled and threw off the corpse, offering a hand.

"Just like old times, Lupine."
"Missing messes like these, are you?" I smiled as the tug of his arm brought our chests together, my head bumping off his chin.
His lips tugged upwards as he stared down at me. "Only the ones with you in them."

"Erika!" Dad called from the fog.
"Pete!" It was Wyatt in another direction.

Pete nodded. "Stay alive for me?"
"Only if you do the same."