Part 18 - Sides (VIII)

Gibson and Gul had been walking through the sparse young coniferous forest for hours when they came upon the first paved road they had seen since arriving. Not long after beginning to follow it they caught sight of the encampment.

It looked to be semi-permanent and was surrounded with palisades. The road they were following led to one entrance, and on the other side another continued off towards the bridge.

"There's no way that's a defensive encampment," observed Gul.

Two bored looking guards holding irregular-looking muskets stood at the entrance by the road. Several other guards poked their heads over the palisades.

"You don't even touch your weapon unless I give you explicit orders, is that understood ensign?" said Gibson.

"Aye, commander," said Gul.

The two began to approach closer and were spotted immediately.

"You there! Halt!" yelled one of the guards.

Commander Gibson put his hands up, and Gul copied him. They stopped where they stood.

"We come in peace!" Gibson yelled back "We are explorers representing the Huxley Foundation."

"Take us to your leader!" added Gul.

"Ensign!" snapped Gibson "That will be all."

"What in all the Hells in all the religions is the Huxley Foundation?" asked the guard.

"It's a galactic government based out of the core worlds. The Reunification Wars are over. We're reconnecting with the lost worlds of humanity in a spirit of peace," said Gibson, putting down his hands.

There was a long pause.

"What?" asked the guard.

Commander Gibson closed his eyes and sighed.

"This might be too complex a conversation to yell at gunpoint," said Gibson.

When the guards didn't have a reply to that either, he dejectedly added:

"Take us to your leader."

* * *

Gibson and Gul were searched, and everything they carried with them besides their uniforms was confiscated. Only when the grizzled security officer with a gouged out eye was satisfied that they had been fully disarmed were they allowed in the command tent.

The military commander was inside waiting for them, sitting at a desk reading a report. He was wearing a pristine grey military uniform and a peaked cap. He finished what he was doing before he acknowledged the two explorers.

"My first instinct was to assume the two of you were spies," he said, tapping the papers back in order on his desk "But no spy worth worrying about would be as conspicuous as the two of you. Where ever did you get clothes that white?"

"They were spun by a machine," said Gibson "I am Commander Gibson of the Huxley Foundation Starship Armstrong. This is my subordinate Ensign Gul."

"Thanks," said Gul, wrinkling his nose.

"Interesting," said the military commander "My men said you were speaking nonsense but perhaps you were actually just speaking over their heads. You may address me as Dux Simmons."

"Pleased to meet you, Dux," said Gibson.

"Now," continued the Dux "I can't help but ask myself: if indeed you are explorers from the stars, then why of all the places in all the world did you come here, to this encampment, so close to the coming battle? You would have to admit it is very suspicious."

"Our space shuttle crashed," explained Commander Gibson "It went down somewhere around here. We ejected but our crew mates might not have been so lucky. We were told that this was the closest thing to a large settlement for some distance so we came to ask for help finding the site of the crash."

The Dux stood from his chair and thought for a moment.

"Yes. Very interesting indeed," he said "There was a report of an object of some kind falling from the sky on the other side of the bridge. There's something about your ridiculous story that's unnervingly plausible."

"So you believe us?" asked Gibson.

"Let's say I understand what you're saying, and you've piqued my interest."

"We could easily prove what we're saying if you can help us find the crash site," said Gibson.

"I'm afraid that's impossible at the moment," said Dux "It's on the other side of the bridge, and the bridge is held by the Libertines. They are the sworn enemies of everything good and decent and will kill you on sight if you attempt to cross. However, as luck would have it, my men are planning an attack on the bridge..."

He looked at the two strangers. It was unlikely they were spies but he didn't become a Dux at such a young age by being reckless.

"...in the near future. Once we have the bridge I would be only to happy to personally escort the two of you to the alleged crash site to try and sort through all of this. And let me say just in case, since your story does have the ring of truth to is, on behalf of the people of Terra: welcome to our planet."

Terra. Of course they call it Terra. Everyone calls their planet Terra. Gibson wasn't sure why they even bothered to label the planets on star maps anymore, they all say Terra.

"Thank you," said Commander Gibson "I hope this meeting represents the beginning of a long and fruitful collaboration between our two peoples. Unfortunately we don't have time to waste. I understand your position and why you can't help us, but in that case we're going to have to go ahead on our own. I trust that our equipment will be returned to us?"

"That's the thing, isn't it?" said Dux Simmons "While I would like to believe you, and am leaning in that direction to an extent, the risk still remains that the two of you are Libertine spies. I can't very well let you march back into the Libertine camp with all the sensitive military information you've been privy to since arriving."

"Are you trying to say we're your prisoners?" asked Gibson.

"I thought that was made clear when you were disarmed coming in," said the Dux "Still, there's no reason why you shouldn't be made as comfortable as possible for the duration of your stay. Then, when the battle is over and any benefit the enemy may have gained from your presence is neutralized, your property will be returned to you and you will be free to leave. As I said before I will even help you find your crashed shuttle."

"I have no interest in involving myself in your local conflict," said Gibson "I just need to find that shuttle."

"Then all you have to do, Commander," said the Dux "Is wait."