Part 82 - The Trial Of Dr. Kang (XVIII)

"So," said the Captain "You're a free man. You don't need sanctuary aboard the Armstrong anymore."

She had come to see Dr. Kang in his unnecessarily extravagant hotel room. Littlecrow didn't begrudge him any of this excess; he just got out of jail.

"I appreciate your loyalty during this trying time, Captain," said Dr. Kang.

Littlecrow internally scolded herself for actually expecting Dr. Kang to have said 'friendship'.

"So to address the elephant in the room: do I need a new Science Officer?" asked Littlecrow, sitting on the bed.

"Not just yet," said Dr. Kang, who remained standing "If anything my enemies on Mars have proven that they are as determined as ever to end me. I need to remain as mobile as possible if I plan to remain alive in the long term. More to the point I have come to an important conclusion over the past year: the place where humanity could most benefit from my genius is the periphery. Just think of how many worlds I saved from the precipice of oblivion? And how many more cry out even now for my aid? The future of our species may hinge on me remaining as the Armstrong's Science Officer. I have a duty."

This was the side of Dr. Kang's arrogance that Littlecrow found endearing. He wasn't nearly as awful as he wanted everyone else to think. She didn't exactly like the man but she wouldn't want to lose him as a member of her crew either.

"For the time being," Kang added.

"That suits me," said the Captain "Let's head out to space."

End: The Trial Of Dr. Kang.