Part 66 - The Trial Of Dr. Kang (II)

Captain Littlecrow had already been ferried down to the surface of Mars by the time Dr. Kang was arrested. She ended up having to take another shuttle right back up to visit him at Li Jing Orbital Prison.

She sat across from Dr. Kang at a table, separated by a transparent force-field that permitted only light and sound to pass through, in an empty white room. They were being watched.

"I'm sorry that it has come to this, Doctor," said Captain Littlecrow "You were a valuable member of my crew. For what it's worth you always did justify your insubordination, if only just barely."

"Don't start speaking of me in the past tense just yet, Captain," said Dr. Kang, leaning forward confidently and passing a scribble pad through the force field. The pad was scanned, logged, and if the security AI hadn't liked the look of it it would have been vaporized.

"What's this?" asked Littlecrow, taking it.

"The name of the most ruthless law firm on Mars, and the banking information to ensure that their exorbitant retainer is well taken care of. If you were telling the truth about valuing my contributions to our shared mission then you'll do me this favor and make all the necessary arrangements for this firm to represent me. If you need anything else you can ansible me here between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m., Martian time, station local. My resources are considerable."

"I know you'll say you're not guilty whether you are or you aren't," said the Captain, putting the pad aside "But I'd still like to look you in the eyes and hear you say it."

"I suppose your memory isn't as sharp as mine, Captain," said Dr. Kang "The person I'm accused of killing is Dr. Po, someone whose life I saved at great expense to my own. I'm being framed by the other half of my brain."

Captain Littlecrow opened her mouth to speak, then closed it again, then opened it.

"Your story is consistent with what you've said before. I'll give you that," she said finally.

"So you're going to help me with this errand then?" asked Dr. Kang "I'm going to need a friend on the outside to beat these charges."

"I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt for now," said Littlecrow "But I'm not going to help you escape justice. If I decide you're guilty I'm out."

"That's good then because I don't need to escape justice. I need you to find someone to kick her in her blind ass so she can get me out of this floating tin can and back to cleaning up everyone else's messes. Everything I need is in that pad."

"Alright, Doctor, I'll do as you ask," said Littlecrow, rising from her seat "I'll attend to that immediately."

"Please do, and keep me up-to-date on your progress," said Dr. Kang.

Captain Littlecrow nodded in the direction where she knew the primary sensor was located. The people watching her opened the door to the exit and she walked through.

Littlecrow sighed. She would have to take yet another shuttle ride. There goes her whole day off right there: riding in shuttles.