Part 69 - The Trial Of Dr. Kang (V)

"Dr. Heliodore Kang, famous for his work on the generation five relativity drive and having the dubious honor of being the person to work on the most weapon of mass destruction development projects in human history, was arrested today in Mars orbit on the Arcadia Stardock," said an emotionless but articulate woman on the large hotel room screen "Dr. Kang is accused of murdering another famed scientist, Dr. Ursule Po, who revolutionized the way we think about artificial gravity by confirming the theory of-"

Mitzner couldn't hear the rest over her own laughter. It was a good thing she was on the bed when she turned on the news feed because she had lost all ability to stand under her own power. She struggled to breathe. It was an undignified, full-on donkey laugh.

Mitzner laughed until her sides ached, until her smile hurt, until she was red in the face with the corners of her eyes stained from tears.

Finally, still chuckling, she began to regain her composure. The feed was still on.

"-or the community at large. Dr. Kang is currently being held in Li Jing Orbital Prison awaiting trial."

That just set her off again. She laughed for a good ten minutes, recovered again, realized it was funny again and laughed some more. Finally she regained genuine control. She had important work to do, she couldn't spend all day laughing.

"Give me T-Net," she told the screen.

Who was she going to call first to tell the news? Mitzner felt like a kid in a candy store.

* * *

Commander Gibson walked down the manicured tree-lined street, past a number of mathematically beautiful buildings, looking for his sister's apartment.

Gibson had been incredibly pleased to learn that her apartment was within walking distance of a starport. It had been so long since he had the opportunity to have a proper walk on his homeworld.

Gibson came upon his sister's building and buzzed her with one of his implants. She appeared at the front door moments later.

"Sammy!" she exclaimed happily, her arms open wide for a hug.

Gibson internally bristled. His little sister was the only person in the galaxy he let get away with calling him that.

"Misha!" he called back, only having to force the smile for a fraction of a second. His happiness at seeing his sister after all this time melted away his usual stiffness.

They hugged.

"So," began Misha once they had disengaged "Have you talked to Xeno yet?"

"No..." said Gibson, immediately suspicious.

"Good," said Misha "Make sure I get to watch when he tells you."

"Tells me what?" asked Gibson.

"Exactly!" said Misha, pointing at him.

* * *

The hover transport arrived at the secluded forest clearing. Everyone ritualistically turned off all their electronic devices before disembarking.

There was already fuel in a fire pit ready to be ignited into a roaring bonfire. Thermally-sealed boxes of camp food waited nearby. Just far enough from the fire pit to be safe were several un-pitched tents in organized piles. A sparkling clear river ran just past the campsite.

Wagner smiled at the sight. This was going to be a wonderful break from the stress of his work.